Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro hero 7 black update failure

If the Mac is anything like windows, that doesn't always work, because you may have a previous instance of the Update.zip file from an earlier download, so when you download a new one it automatically gets named something like Update(1).zip or Update(4).zip and when you extract it to the default location, you get an Update(1) or Update(4) folder, which the camera won't recognize. 

That's why we're always brutally annoyingly specific about creating a folder named UPDATE and nothing else. 

Even if Mac doesn't do that, it's still better to use instructions that should work the same for everyone. 

When I do it, I actually just create the UPDATE folder on the root of the uSD cad and drag the contents of the zip into it.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I can't tell you guys how close I came to sending my Hero7 Black back because it wouldn't update. I received it yesterday and spent about two hours last night until just after midnight trying to get the update to work.  It wouldn't.  I got home from work today and spent another probably two and half hours trying to make it work and it wouldn't.  I watched every tutorial and read every FAQ I could find and it just wouldn't work.  Keep in mind, I own two drones, two cameras, and a tablet I turned into a dedicated universal remote -- point is, I'm not tech illiterate.  

After something like 37 attempts, three complete factory resets, two deletions and reinstalls of the app, I FINALLY got it to work. Finally.  Now I don't even want to use it.  I need to put it or myself in some sort of time out so I don't smash it against the floor if something else goes wrong.  I'm sure I'm gonna love the camera once I really get going with it, but so far my experience with GoPro has been less than positive.  

Wow.  It shouldn't be this much of a problem.

Highlighted
GoPro

Sorry for the inconvenience @jkg-pdx,

We'll take note of this and check what's might be the reason.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Sightseer

It's cool and the camera is awesome and I know I'm going to love it, but whatever was going on was driving me nuts. It's all good now.  I think there must have been something corrupted or something in the previous firmware, but it's all fine now.

Highlighted
GoPro

Glad to know that @jkg-pdx,

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

-Jay