Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

GoPro hero 7 Black (wrench icon)

Hey guys,

I bought my GoPro a couple of weeks ago after having used my Hero 4 for years without any issues.

I took it on a surf trip in Spain and during the second session I started experiencing a weird behaviour with the camera showing a wrench icon while recording and not being able to stop it for a little while. It does this almost every time now. Is there something wrong with the camera ? I am worried about the waterproofing, since it does not have the case my old gopro had.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro hero 7 Black (wrench icon)

Hello @rafoo

There is actually nothing wrong with the camera. When the camera is recording and the screen is pressed (intentionally or accidentally probably due to incidental water waves), the option for auto exposure appears. Since the Auto Exposure is a setting, the wrench icon appears on the front screen. Closing (ex-ing out of) the feature makes the wrench icon disappear. To prevent this from happening while surfing, you can opt to turn on or activate the Lock Screen feature. 

When the Lock Screen is on, you will still be able to navigate through the camera through the following steps:

To change Modes (video, picture, time lapse) press the side Mode/power button when the camera is not recording.
To access settings, Press the Mode/power button and shutter when the camera is not recording and the settings menu will display on the front LCD.
To unlock the rear LCD, turn the camera on (if not already on) and swipe down on the rear LCD and chose unlock.

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Explorer

Always Lock the rear LCD when using the camera in water. It's possible that this is causing a delay in the shutdown, but more likely it's just the camera ridding itself of residual power. The camera uses a tremendous amount of juice which is flowing through the sensor, processor, on-board RAM, and LCD. It's not uncommon for there to be a delay similar to what you are describing. Although the camera is technically off, the remaining power has to dissipate. Similar to a power button on a TV, computer or laptop that remains glowing for a few seconds after the device is turned off.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

If you are always getting it grab a video and post up ask GoPro on the phone and direct them to this thread. It is not normal
Highlighted
Nomad

@rafoo wrote:

Hey guys,

I bought my GoPro a couple of weeks ago after having used my Hero 4 for years without any issues.

I took it on a surf trip in Spain and during the second session I started experiencing a weird behaviour with the camera showing a wrench icon while recording and not being able to stop it for a little while. It does this almost every time now. Is there something wrong with the camera ? I am worried about the waterproofing, since it does not have the case my old gopro had.

I would do a full reset on camera. Its under settings

Are you running 1.5.1 firmware ?

Also make sure you are using an approved memory card.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @rafoo

There is actually nothing wrong with the camera. When the camera is recording and the screen is pressed (intentionally or accidentally probably due to incidental water waves), the option for auto exposure appears. Since the Auto Exposure is a setting, the wrench icon appears on the front screen. Closing (ex-ing out of) the feature makes the wrench icon disappear. To prevent this from happening while surfing, you can opt to turn on or activate the Lock Screen feature. 

When the Lock Screen is on, you will still be able to navigate through the camera through the following steps:

To change Modes (video, picture, time lapse) press the side Mode/power button when the camera is not recording.
To access settings, Press the Mode/power button and shutter when the camera is not recording and the settings menu will display on the front LCD.
To unlock the rear LCD, turn the camera on (if not already on) and swipe down on the rear LCD and chose unlock.

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Hi Marius,

Thanks for the feedback. When the icon is displayed due to water on the touch screen, would that prevent me from turning the gopro off by pressing the power button ? Because it does do that. I may be pressing it for 10 seconds and nothing happens until it decides to finaly turn off. FYI I have a floaty on there as well as a mouth mount so exposure to water of the back is minimal.

Im using the latest firmware and the included memory card as well.

Highlighted
Explorer

Always Lock the rear LCD when using the camera in water. It's possible that this is causing a delay in the shutdown, but more likely it's just the camera ridding itself of residual power. The camera uses a tremendous amount of juice which is flowing through the sensor, processor, on-board RAM, and LCD. It's not uncommon for there to be a delay similar to what you are describing. Although the camera is technically off, the remaining power has to dissipate. Similar to a power button on a TV, computer or laptop that remains glowing for a few seconds after the device is turned off.
Highlighted
Sightseer

The same thing just happened to me on my second time of use (1st @ surf session). This camera has been used just twice, the first time was mounted on a yak for Kayak Fishing and the 2nd on the nose of a surfboard for a surf session. During the surf session I began to notice the wrench icon on the front screen...I just turn it on and the icon remains ...I notice during the surf session that the icon does not interrupt the recording nor affected it.....let's see

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks so much for this response !!! It gave me a gret releif