Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro hero 6 so grainy

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

so I have one big Problem.

all my GoPro Hero 6 Videos(shot in 2.7k 30fps) look extremly blurry and nothing like 2.7k at all.

I have been editing all my Videos on GoPro studio, hoping I could improve the quality, but nothing helped.

I tried pretty much everything (wide, superview or flat, all kinds of resolutions and fps, plus protune)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzGvP5QQSHU&t=48s

this is all I can get out of my Hero 6

Would appreciate all kinds of Help ;D

Thomas

For more information visit our Website https://www.hotelkrone.com/
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: GoPro hero 6 so grainy

The Team of GoPro that makes  these Impressive video's Like Tokyo driving. Best ever video that  I enjoyed, will never ever  offer their SECRETS to editing and  its work.

Not sure if you're saying your whole video, partial of your video  day shots of the video, in the  shadows of your video,  

The Action camera will have its issues in any low level shot and Protunes and ISO, with  white blalance must all be changed.. Just my thoughts.

Highlighted
Explorer

@littlechizze
First off, very nice video edit and presentation. Very professional looking.

The first issue right off is you are using an editor that has a max export bitrate of 50mb. Your camera is filming at around 78 Megabits/sec so you are losing quality right off the bat. Your video was exported at 1080 resolution which I think exports somewhere around 22Mb/s. Uploading to YouTube doesn't help much either as their encoding process degrades footage as well.

If you want to continue using 2.7K/30, you should try DaVinci Resolve. If you are willing to pay for an editor, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects will allow you to edit HEVC 4K/60.

When exporting, you want max depth and bitrate. Vimeo is a better professional platform but YouTube is more widely used. Even though you are filming at 2.7, export as 4K. When you upload as a 4K file YouTube will allow the video to have max bitrate. At 1080/30 the max bitrate on YouTube is 8Mb (12 Mbps for 60fps). A 4K video is allowed as high as 68 Mbps which makes a considerable difference.

A little motion blur is good as it looks more natural to the eye, but if you want to keep your footage looking crisp, 60fps works better (indoor shots are better at 30fps).

You want to make sure you have your ISO locked at 100 and try to keep to the double frame rate rule when selecting a shutter speed. So, if you are using 2.7/30, then you want your shutter at 1/60 (up to 1/120 but don't go to 1/30 unless it's a static shot or you'll get a lot of blur). To do this, you may need to invest in some ND filters. Polar Pro Cinematic filters are perhaps the best.

In the shots where you have the bright light coming in from the windows you might want to try dropping the ev or utilizing the selective light metering (press on the rear of the LCD so a large white box shrinks to a small box). Be sure to hit the check mark if you do or your settings wont be saved when you start recording. Another creative option is to increase the ev and in your editor keyframe the brightness to increase as you reach the window to blow out white and then do a cutaway to an exterior wide angle landscape scenic shot.

GoPro Color profile looks great and makes editing much easier but for the max dynamic range you will want to use the Flat color profile. Dropping the sharpness to medium or even low will also give you more to work with in your editor. For the most part, high sharpness works fine, but you can't correct an over sharpening very well an this can happen easily when you are moving and have variations in lighting.

@fishycomics
Sorry, but the comment about GoPro not offering their "Secrets" is completely false. Abe Kislevitz, media creator for GoPro, has tutorial videos and other creators have frequented Reddit, Facebook and other blogs with information on how they edit and get the best shots. In fact, I made a post not too long ago with advice from Christopher Farro who worked on the GoPro media team. https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Get-the-best-shot-Advice-from-a-real-GoPro-professional/m-p/1...
Abe Kislevitz has an entire blog dedicated to explaining how to get the most from GoPro cameras and has editing tutorials. http://abekislevitz.com/?catid=11 He also has a YouTube channel with tips and tricks along with his usual media post.

GoPro has countless videos that they have created and posted on their YouTube GoPro Tutorials channel https://www.youtube.com/user/GoProTutorials . You can also find helpful tips here https://gopro.com/awards/tips

As far as editing, the GoPro media team primarily uses Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro. Color grading and applying effects is something that has to be learned and practiced and isn't specific to one camera or another. The "Secret" is to spend hours/days/years perfecting the craft and even then, some will have a better eye than others.

Personally, I have spent years editing video and still do not feel that I have come close to mastering editing. My 15 year old son, on the hand, is much more artistic than I am and is already producing content that far exceeds some of my best work.

@epicallyepic created a group awhile back for sharing Editing Tips N Tricks https://community.gopro.com/t5/Editing-Tips-N-Tricks/gp-p/EditingTipsNTricks

While we don't always agree, I believe he will support my assertion that some people just have a better eye when it comes to editing. Those who are really good at it can make a good living off of it. The people making GoPro videos are those types of people. It's not that they have some "secret" that they are keeping from people, they are just better at it than you or I.
Highlighted
Explorer

@littlechizze

Just a few thoughts after watching the video again.

1) You definitely need to lock the selective light metering when doing the pan through the lobby so the bright light isn't blowing out the shot

2) Max your ISO at 100, set the shutter and try selecting the best WB kelvin temperature when doing interior shots. You'll have to play with this.  Take several shots. Pass #1 WB Auto, Pass #2 WB 3200K (or whatever looks best on the LCD screen), Pass #3 WB 4500K, Pass #4 WB Native and maybe a couple with the WB at the two extremes (2300K & 6500K). Bring these into your editor and color correct as needed.  Usually you will find one looks better than the others. Sometimes the one that was shot at the wrong kelvin temperature looks best when color corrected because it picked up the least amount of noise from the ambient lighting.

3) Be careful of your reflection Smiley Very Happy You are clearly visible at 1:56 in the video. Smiley Embarassed

Highlighted
Explorer

@littlechizze

4) DOWNLOAD and use DaVinci Resolve. It's one of the best professional color correcting/grading editors available.
Highlighted
Tourist

@danielr15
Thank u very much for your help will definitely consider all of them in my new shot 🙌🏽
Highlighted
Explorer

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.
Highlighted
Tourist

Will do thanks again 🙌🏽