Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: GoPro hero 6 overheating and not turning on

[ New ]

That was really crazy hot!  Thank you for posting back, @amarand. Let us know how it goes when you test the replacement camera. Best regards, Marius

Tourist

[ New ]
I have only used my GoPro Hero 6 for the second time (for less that 30mins). It has overheated and the screen frozen in video mode. I tried to remove the battery as it wouldn’t turn off even after an hour and was worried about it getting so hot. Even the flap to pull out the battery snapped. So now the battery is lodged too. A nightmare.
Tourist

[ New ]
(How do I return this thing?? It is totally unreliable).
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @romridesrwanda,

There are a lot of things to consider. 

May I know what SD card are you using? 

We might help you to sort things out. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Explorer

[ New ]

@romridesrwanda

In most cases, the issue you described is due to a faulty, counterfeit, or unrecommended SD card.  Sometimes these cards will work fine in other devices; however, since the Hero6 scans the card and is also resource intensive due to the nature of the high processing power of the camera, bad cards can cause severe issue.

For best results, try a different card from this list microSD-Card-Considerations

It is also advised that you factory reset the camera: Swipe down>Preferences>Reset

Download the manual update to your computer and extract the UPDATE folder*

Format you SD card in the computer (FUll, not Quick)

Copy/Paste the UPDATE folder (not Update.zip) to the SD card

Remove the battery from the camera

Eject the card and then place into the camera

Wait approx 8 seconds and then insert the battery

Affter approx 8 seconds, press the side Mode/Power button and allow the camera to complete the update

In camera preferences, format the SD card in camera

Once again go into preferences and Factory reset the camera

*Perform the manual update even if the camera is on the latest firmware

If you continue to have issues, you can exchange/return the camera from where you purchased it.  If you purchased the camera directly from GoPro (https://shop.gopro.com/cameras), then you can contact the Support Team and arrange for an exchange or return.  You will need a digital copy of your receipt (a picture is fine). GoPro offers a 30-day money back return policy, but only if you purchased from them directly.

If you did not purchase from GoPro directly, you will need to contact the store from which you purchased the camera.  If they do not offer exchange/return, then contact the GoPro Support Team and they can assist you with trouble shooting the camera and possibly exchanging the camera (if manufacturer defect).

You can reach the GoPro Support Team by phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Never try to remove a battery when it is excessively hot.  Hot batteries tend to swell slightly and the adhesive on the strip becomes weaker.  Always allow the camera/battery to cool prior to removal or charging.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi @jayr3438 I am using the card that came with the GoPro Hero 6
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks @danielr15 - Noted re never removing hot battery. As for SD card, the one provided should be legit and worthy of use. I shouldn’t really need to go purchase another one. This thing isn’t cheap as it is!
Explorer

[ New ]
If it's a SanDisk Ultra that some store t through in as a "package deal", then it's the source of your issue.

If the card is not on the list from the link I gave, it's not a good card and whomever sold it to you should give you your money back. GoPro did not sell it to you.

If you purchased your camera from GoPro, then the card is on the list.

What card is it?
Name
Model
Size
Does it have v30 written on it?

If you don't give this information, we can't help you. Saying, " I am using the card that came with the GoPro Hero 6" does not answer the question.

If you purchased the camera/card directly from the GoPro website, then you should contact the GoPro Support Team and they can arrange to exchange the SD card, camera, or both.

If you did not purchase from GoPro directly (https://shop.gopro.com/cameras), then you need to get in touch with the store that sold it to you and arrange for an exchange/return of the card, camera, or both.