Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: GoPro hero 6 overheating and not turning on

[ New ]

Hi Brian, I have tried the S.E.Pro 128 SD card and it overheats as well. I checked all cards that I have tested with the 6 and in different brand camears they all worked well.

I went to the dealership today and returned the Hero 6 as it was unusable. They accepted my return without hesitation. I also asked for a refund and similarly they refunded the purchase with my thanks.

I am really disappointed that such a well-known company like GoPro is not listening to their customers and the issues we are having with this recent iteration of the Hero camera and are not instigating a recall to rectify such problems. I have searched around and concluded that this 6 Black edition is just a 5 version with software enhancements.

In the end it doesn’t matter, it just doesn’t work. Again, I am VERY disappointed. BTW, I have already ordered a new 4Kam. Hope you all have a better experience with your unit. Good luck.

John

Anonymous

[ New ]

From my previous post. My other regret is that I have purchased a whole bunch of attachments, spare batteries, housing, screen and lens protectors that now I cannot use. Not counting the bunch of $D cards that I have purchased to test this camera.

John

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yeah, I spent a lot on accessories too.  It's unfortunate that this thing overheats all the time because when it's working it's a pretty nice camera.  But, unfortunately, it's totally unreliable and simply doesn't work, so I will be returning it to today :(

-Brian

Anonymous

[ New ]

Mine used to heat up also, but I quit running memory cards by sandisk and went to a Samsung 128 gb pro + card. Haven't had any problems with it, except getting a little warm, and  I actually recorded video for an hour before the battery went dead. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Before I plop down $90 to try the Sandisk Extreme PRO card in my Hero 6 can anyone here attest to the fact that the 128GB version of that card solves the overheating problem?

Thanks,

-Brian

FYI: Day one, SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB card, Hero 6 Black - first video, heat failure at around 30 minutes.  After it cooled itself down (by presumably shutting itself down), it started shooting again two hours later for a few minutes, then the battery failed.

Tourist

[ New ]

Here's a screen capture of the date/time stamps for those curious:

GoProHero6BlackHeatFailure.png

I came home to find the camera dead and crazy hot (burning my fingers hot) on both the outside and especially the battery.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @amarand

Would you recall the resolution setting/s used for these media files? For cameras that feature unique high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power when using these modes. But the camera getting crazy hot to the point of burning-your-fingers-hot is definitely not an expected behavior. Aside from looking into the SD card used (as inquired about on the other post), try to manually update the camera (if you haven't already, and even if the camera is with the latest firmware). 

More information on camera temperature in High-Performance Modes here

If everything has been checked out and the camera still exhibits overheating, please get in touch with our Support team for further assistance. You can reach them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello @amarand

Would you recall the resolution setting/s used for these media files? For cameras that feature unique high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power when using these modes. But the camera getting crazy hot to the point of burning-your-fingers-hot is definitely not an expected behavior. Aside from looking into the SD card used (as inquired about on the other post), try to manually update the camera (if you haven't already, and even if the camera is with the latest firmware).

More information on camera temperature in High-Performance Modes here

If everything has been checked out and the camera still exhibits overheating, please get in touch with our Support team for further assistance. You can reach them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Thanks, 
Marius

I was shooting at 1080p, 60 FPS.  I had GPS and Wi-Fi turned on.  Voice commands may have been enabled, if those are enabled by default.  The first time I had the overheating, it got so hot, it deformed the side of the camera where the HDMI and USB-C connectors are, so that cover doesn't seal/click properly anymore.  I can test this unit again, but I'll be exchanging it at Best Buy this weekend due to that cover issue. The camera and battery were so hot, they burned my fingertips.

After turning off GPS, Wi-Fi, and confirming voice commands are disabled, the camera has been test recording (1080p, 60 FPS) for an hour and the battery is getting ready to run out. The temperature of the case near the lens is warm, not hot.

So when I get my replacement unit from Best Buy this weekend, I will make certain I do another test once I unpackage it.