Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro hero 6 overheating and not turning on

Turned GPS and H6 off overnight. Found no loss of power, still at 66% as left the night before and the unit was cold. I am testing it today with GPS off. It has been on for 10 min and is slowly heating up, especially near the lens, the status screen is still clear. Yesterday it was so hot that it was faded. Battery is at 50% and at this rate I don't think it will last much longer. 15 min on and it is quite hot under the lens, the rest of the body is hot. I am running it at 4K/60/wide. Had to turn the unit off. When cool i will turn WiFi off and repeat.

John

Highlighted
Hiker

That would seem to corroborate what I was seeing too.  The evidence is pointing to the GPS as the source of overheating and battery drain.

-Brian

Highlighted
Tourist

Unit on, turned WiFi off, GPS still off, started recording, battery draining 1% every 30 seconds or less, overheating started again, really hot under the lower part of the lens...beeps, battery is now dead. Will recharge (2nd time since new) for up to 5 hrs and check if the red light will turn off this time. If not, will purchase a separate battery charger with new battery to check if it makes any difference.

John

Highlighted
Tourist

Unit recharging now and started heating up slightly - guess it's normal. I have used for years the British 4Kam Pro camera kits for offroad and trail with DVR power adapters, issues free - bullet proof. I opted for GoPro as you can get them anywhere, unlike 4Kam. I just hope it will not let me down...

John

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Unit recharged within 3hrs without overheating and red light turned off this time. Started recording again in 4K/60/W and again camera is quite hot just under the lens and hot all over. It is uncomfortable to hold in your hands and discharging rapidly at same rate of 1% per 30 seconds or less. 

John

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

From previous Post - Recording conditions: cool internal home temperature of about 18 C (64.4F - Aircon). If outside @ 36C (96.8F) what would happen?  Recorded 20min and 60% charge left. Now the unit is very hot and will turn off after 28 min recording. Can this be OK?

John

Highlighted
Tourist

Attempting different recording mode @ 1080/30/W but battery discharging at similar rate. Heating has slightly reduced but is still high. 

Highlighted
Hiker

All of that is with Wifi and GPS off?

-Brian