Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro hero 6 overheating and not turning on

My GoPro H6 seems to work fine when running off battery, but when I run it off of the power cable it overheats after a while.  I've had it run for ~25 minutes at a time off the battery without any problems.  However, I found out yesterday that it won't use the external power if the battery is installed, so to run off external power I completey remove the battery from the camera.  

So, when I try to record with the external power after maybe 10 minutes I'll notice that the front of the camera is extremely hot.  Not soon after it will just suddenly shut off, and I cannot turn it back on for several minutes - presumably while it cools down.  Upon powering back up I get a "repairing file" message, and then it continues to work until it overheats again.

Tonight while driving it kept overheating, but as the sun set I noticed it was taking longer and longer to overheat.  I think this is becuase it was dropping to the lower frame rate, thus using lower power.  Once it got totally dark out the camera seemed to run indefinitely, and it was much, much cooler to the touch.  Warm, but not hot at all.

Is this normal?  Why would running off a power cable be any different then running off battery?  I'm plugged into the official GoPro car adapter at 1amp.

-Brian

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@bgreenstone - The HERO6 will pull external power as needed even with the battery installed. No need to take that out. Providing external power can cause the camera to get warm, but unless it's in an enclosed space where the heat can't dissipate, it shouldn't be an issue. If the camera gets above 125F, it will shut down though.

Overheating and the "repairing file" error can both be issues caused by a non-compatible SD card. If you're not already, you'll want to use a card that's recommended for your camera. The list of cards for all of our cameras is at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations.

Jeff

Highlighted
Hiker

So, I turned off the WiFi and GPS, and now it works fine with no overheating. Tested it for almost 2 hours without any issue. The camera gets just a little warm, but definitely not hot at all. Later this week I want to try it with just WiFi and see if it still overheats. I really don’t need the GPS, but I need the WiFi for the Smart Remote.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, I am from Australia and have the same issue. The new Gopro 6 (3 days old) overheats whilst turned off and battery looses power. I have charged the unit from a wall outlet (USB) but the red light will not go off after 5 hrs. I use a recommended Sansidsk SD card and am not running at high res. The recorded vid shows image jittering as well. Can someone assist pl. Thank you  

Highlighted
Hiker

Over the weekend I had the chance to try a few more things, and I found that I was able to turn on the WiFi without any overheating.  I ran the camera for about an hour and a half non-stop in 4k/60 mode with WiFi on and GPS off.  I even had the battery in and the GoPro plugged into my car adapter.  With that configuration, it never got hot or overheated, and it even pulled power from the cable instead of the battery, so when I arrived home I still had 100% battery power.

Based on this and my other tests, it seems that having the GPS on causes overheating and also causes the battery to be used instead of the power cable.  However, it may actually have been a combination of the GPS *and* WiFi that was causing the problems before, so my next test will be to turn on just GPS and not WiFi to see if I get the same results.

Either way, since I really don't need GPS data in my videos (it's just evidence of how fast I'm driving anyway), my overheating problem has been solved simply by durning that off.

-Brian

Highlighted
Explorer

@bgreenstone thanks for the trouble shooting and taking the time to come back and let us know your results.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thx for the info Brian. I will test GPS and WiFi on/off to ascertain what is causing this issue. Cheers

John

Highlighted
Hiker

Please let me know if you find the same results that I did.