Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

GoPro hero 6 overheating and not turning on

I’m in Hawaii and used my new GoPro for only 2 days. It was in my purse (not in use) and all I heard was beeping. When I picked up my GoPro, it was hot and completely dead.

When I got back to the hotel room, it had already cooled down and I’m trying to charge it. There is no red light when plugged in. No response if I remove the battery and/ SD card. No response if I hold the mode and/or shutter button.

What Can I do? HELP PLEASE
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: GoPro hero 6 overheating and not turning on

My hero 6 is doing exactly the same. Any help out there?

Highlighted
Explorer

If the camera is completely unresponsive, you should contact the GoPro Support Team https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus
Highlighted
Adventurer

Not sure if both users have identical or simular problems.  If you have a reciept and a store bought  you can try   t oreturn the camera if  the same store is in the region?  I try  to long press the on mode, after th camera is cooled down, anf try replugging  the port cable again in, removal and inerting the card will show a red led, does it do that??

Highlighted
Tourist

Same issues, it's not dead yet in my case, but overheating within few minutes of being "on" , even if not recording.  Battery gets drained like in "real time", I can see the % go down like 1% each minute, even without recording!

Guys, do you know if it's possible to replace the camera when it was bought online? My wife got it gere on gopro.com, such a mistake...

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @dmitrys7388,

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with that new camera. Give these steps a try to see if you can get that camera working:

1) Ensure that you are using a wall charger with an output of 5V & 1-2A. 
2) Remove and reinsert the battery (to ensure that everything, including Connections is powered off). 
3) Connect the GoPro USB cable to the wall charger, and then attach the camera to the cable. 
4) Red LEDs should illuminate on the camera within 5-10 seconds. NOTE: If red LEDs do not illuminate, disconnect the cable from the camera, wait ≈5 seconds and reinsert the cable. 
5) Allow the camera to charge in this manner for 3-5 hours (during this time the red LEDs should turn off).
6) After charging for 3-5 hours, disconnect the camera from the cable and proceed to manually update the camera.

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for your advice @ryanv12566 . I think it's not helping in my case:

1. Charger: we use the one from Galaxy 8 (5v / 2A). 

2. Battery removal: I had to do it already few times, the camera got stuck and didn't respond to turn-off long press and any button clicks at all. It was during outdoors attempt to make a video, at the beach.

3. First cable to electricity and then camera to cable, usually I just do that of course, the charger of phone is always in wall...

4. The red LEDs are working.

5. This night the camera was charging - in the morning now I see 59% :((((((((

6. Yes I updated the firmware to latest 1.51 as soon as I saw problems with camera, it solved the jumping charge indicator (the indicator was always jumping on random numbers showing 0% - 32% - 96% - 61% - 24% etc' like there's a random command given to it to show any number every few seconds)

but the firmware didn't solve overheating issue, the camera heats up like crazy both when I record 1080 video for example and when it's even idle. This is a short circuit on the schema I think, I had this before with other 2 devices, with Galaxy S6 (its motherboard died completely and in repair they said it can't be fixed),  and with a cheap chinese tablet which got burned quickly after use, and had same sympthoms.

Is there a service center in Israel?  I try to call all your numbers both USA/Holland/UK and Israel one, it always replies the same "please call during normal business hours PST"  but I called 12 hours ago which was 11:30 morning PST. And tried to call every 5-6 hours the day before, it always the same. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @dmitrys7388,

I am sorry to hear that did not solve the issue. I would recommend reaching out by chat if you are having a hard time getting in touch with our Support Team by phone.

https://gopro.com/help/SC_GPC_PreLiveAgentFormPage

Business Hours:

Sun: 07:00 AM - 04:00 PM

M: 06:00 AM - 06:00 PM

T: 06:00 AM - 06:00 PM

W: 06:00 AM - 06:00 PM

Th: 06:00 AM - 06:00 PM

F: 06:00 AM - 06:00 PM

S: 07:00 AM - 04:00 PM

Pacific Standard Time

Best,

Ryan