Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: GoPro hero 5 black leaking?

Hi guys! I'm from the Philippines and I have a problem with my GoPro 5 black. I purchased it last November and for the first time, I used it underwater last Saturday. It was doing well at first then suddenly the screen was blinking and froze. When I turned it back on there was white screen and then it died. I was so frustrated because my GoPro is just 3 mos old. I have no idea where I went wrong because I made sure all ports were secured. I emailed support team today and I hope they will get back to me asap. I already booked travels where I badly need to use my gopro. Such an inconvenience! :( 

Tourist

Hi guys! I'm from the Philippines and I have a problem with my GoPro 5 black. I purchased it last November and for the first time, I used it underwater last Saturday. It was doing well at first then suddenly the screen was blinking and froze. When I turned it back on there was white screen and then it died. I was so frustrated because my GoPro is just 3 mos old. I have no idea where I went wrong because I made sure all ports were secured. I emailed support team today and I hope they will get back to me asap. I already booked travels where I badly need to use my gopro. Such an inconvenience! :( 

Tourist

I have th same issue! I used the camera a couple times in water, within the guidelines of GoPro, and I noticed it locking up and then saw the water inside the front LCD. The two doors were sealed and dry when I checked them out. I opened a case with support earlier this week, only to have them ask the same questions I answered in my initial support case request (when did it happen, whats your SN, etc). I responded with a couple pictures, as requested, and have not heard back from support. It's very frustrating to have a camera not work as advertised, and then feel like there is no support for it either. Clearly this is now a known issue for GoPro on the Hero5. I hope there is a positive resolution to this issue - this is my first purchase with GoPro .... I hope it's not my last. 

Hiker

[ Edited ]

I haven't dared to use mine under water yet; not even in my bathtub. The reason for this is that while I almost cannot open the smaller door due to it being so tight, I can open the bigger one with one finger. The small one, when opening, creates some kind of vacuum. You can actually hear it pop when opening it. The bigger door doesn't do this.

For the time being I haven't had any reason to take it under water and rain hasn't done anything to it yet. I will take it under water before the warranty period runs out though. I don't want to have any surprises later on.

Hiker

@agiletree7354 wrote:

I have th same issue! I used the camera a couple times in water, within the guidelines of GoPro, and I noticed it locking up and then saw the water inside the front LCD. The two doors were sealed and dry when I checked them out. I opened a case with support earlier this week, only to have them ask the same questions I answered in my initial support case request (when did it happen, whats your SN, etc). I responded with a couple pictures, as requested, and have not heard back from support. It's very frustrating to have a camera not work as advertised, and then feel like there is no support for it either. Clearly this is now a known issue for GoPro on the Hero5. I hope there is a positive resolution to this issue - this is my first purchase with GoPro .... I hope it's not my last. 

I have not used mine in water yet but have been looking at all of these posts and feel even more that I should have either bought the hero4 or waitied for this new hero5 to have the "kinks" worked out.

I'm currently on my second replacement, three cameras if you count the one I originally bought at the end of december.  Be forewarned they are going to send you a refurbished unit and not a brand new one.  All of the ones they sent me have lower serial numbers than the one I bought.

GoPro Community Manager

If you are seeing water inside the LCD, please notify our team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus so we can address that issue with you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tourist

GoPro resoved my water damaged unit and sent me a new one.  I can't trust the unit any longer as per the spec and won't be snorkeling with it without using the dive case.  I kitesurf and feel this will be ok as it won't be submerged at any point in time but in the water???  Not a chance will I ruin my trip's pictures by trusting GoPro.  Still happy with the camera. Wish they had better editing tools but at least I didn't have to eat my camera or buy another one.

Anonymous

Still happy with the camera? Oh god!..They sent you another faulty unit, that will have the same problem and you are still happy with the camera. When gopro will ruin your holidays, you won´t be so happy anymore!