Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: GoPro hero 5 black leaking?

Hi all!

i decided to also post on this.

i have been using the go pro on my vacation for about 5 days...I've been using it often in the water.  Yesterday is when this dreaded thing happened...first I noticed a small bubble on the front screen.  I wondered how water got in as the only latches I opened were the battery and USB openings, and made sure they were closed prior.  As the day progressed, the front screen turned off, the back screen started having touch issues, and now is a blank screen.  I can turn it on however I think it's unusable.  I just bought the go pro 5 before Christmas and it's already broken.  I feel that I took care of it well.   For something worth 600 CAD, I feel really ripped off as it was supposed to be "waterproof"... I had sent them a message and waiting for a reply.  Also to point out... if it was purchased via credit card there's some type of guaranteed assurance protection and will help with this issue.  I have 4 more trips this year! I'm glad they don't involve the water as the go pro shoots amazingly well... however I'd rather get a real action camera if this is what go pro brings.

image.jpg
Anonymous

Same problem here, with only 3 days of usage. I hope Go pro also replace my camera.
Hiker

I'm a bit afraid of trying mine out in the bathtub after reading about GoPros warranty policy regarding water damage on a waterproof camera.

GoPro Community Manager

Water leakage specifically around the LCD is often an issue with the camera itself. That type of issue is covered by our warranty.

Water damage caused by leaving the doors open, taking the camera deeper than the camera is rated for, using a camera that is damaged in such a way that it is no longer waterproof, etc. are situations where the warranty would not likely cover the camera.

Hiker

That sounds good. Thanks. Would be interesting to see @Anonymous his camera. Then I'll take my camera in the bathtub tomorrow. It's not deeper than 10m and I will make sure the doors are all closed. :)

Tourist

[ Edited ]

Hey @jefft

I obviously used mine for about 5 days so I think I closed it properly. I never went more than the top part of the water.

I sent in my request and this was the reply I got :

Thanks for contacting GoPro Support.

I'm sorry to hear about the water damage of your camera. I will be more than happy to see what we can do to help out.

Water damage is unfortunately not something we are able to cover under warranty, as it is difficult to determine whether the issue was due to user error or a manufacturing defect. However, we want to gather as much information as possible so that we can do as much as we can to help out.

Please reply back with the following:

How long have you had the camera?
Did you notice where leak occurred?
Describe the steps you took to close your housing. If using a HERO5 Black, was there any debris or dust along the seals of the side USB door?
Could you tell where water may have been intruding into the camera?
Roughly how many times have you used your camera? Of those uses, how many of those were in water?
Let us know your Camera's Serial Number.
Attach the camera's proof of purchase.
Once we hear back with this information, we’ll have a better understanding of how to proceed with your case. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reply back

The staff should be made aware that this is an on going issue and that it is covered under warranty. I'm not sure how to proceed as giving him the information would be useless if he already presumed this was the users fault.

Anonymous

And on the pictures you send they find minor scratches on the lens cover and then they say you misused the camera and there is no warrenty!
Anonymous

No warranty because the painting is getting of the lens cover. I misused the camera. 

Spoiler

IMG_4560.JPG