Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro hero 5 black leaking?

@snowyjump4557 - There is no presumption that the issue is the user's fault. They're simply documenting the case to determine the cause of the damage. I'm not sure what information you submitted when you first contacted them, but there are specific pieces of information we need before we can issue a return authorization on the camera. The questions they've asked will help them capture that information.

If there was a presumption that the issue is the user's fault, the message would have stopped at "Water damage is unfortunately not something we are able to cover under warranty, as it is difficult to determine whether the issue was due to user error or a manufacturing defect," but the message did not stop there.

I hope you'll reply back with the information the agent needs, but doing so is your call.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Anonymous

Surely if the GoPro can be returned for water damage, then the wording ""Water damage is unfortunately not something we are able to cover under warranty" is a pretty poor choice of words??

I just returned mine at the place I bought it (The Good Guys) and they gave me a new one immediately, so I recommend doing this if you have a fault rather than contacting GoPro directly. Also make sure you buy the housing - where I live these can't be found anywhere so online is the only option.

Highlighted
Hiker

Doesn't the housing come with the camera?

You are so right about the poor wording... 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Same happen to me, first the front screen and now ir went off and it won't turn on at all. It happens after using it the water

As i read it has no solution... i'm on My honeymoon and i would no have pictures of it. If someone could tell me another way of fixing it, it would be great. Thanks!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Have anyone of you tested with the replacement as well? I'm considering testing it in the bath tub to avoid having my vacation photos/videos broken by this, but if I get a replacement with the same production error, that wouldn't make sense.

Highlighted
Hiker

I'm actually a bit afraid of trying it on mine as I don't want to go through the replacement procedure. Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

So here is my experience of getting a replacement in Australia from the The Good Guys retail outlet.

Took the camera in, showed then the water in the LCD, the sales rep from TGG enter some stuff into their database and he said they would replace it on the spot from a new camera in stock.  Was in and out in the space of 20 minutes.  Australia has very good consumer protection laws, which is why they replace them so quickly.

The water was still in the front LCD, the rest of the compartments were clean and free of debris and water.

GoPro support said the same standard response about water damage and not being covered, but i think this is to cover them if you leave a door open, but for a manufacturing fault like this, they would not be able to get away without replacing them.  I didnt bother moving forward with GoPro support as TGGs replaced it without issue.

EDIT- FYI, my new camera in water is fine, no issues over the weekend.  The first camera lasted 3-4 months before the water issues.

Highlighted
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
And on the pictures you send they find minor scratches on the lens cover and then they say you misused the camera and there is no warranty!

' After better analyse your case, we decide to exceptionally replace your camera for a brand new one'

Great news, and that is the way it supposed to be!