Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro hero 5 black battery seems to overcharge or discharge

Hi, 

The battery in  my Hero 5 Black seems to show an odd behavior. If I leave it charging too long, it will show 0 charge. This is after it has been charging and the red light has gone out. This seems to happen if left on the charger more than a couple hours. It will feel warm. Sometimes if it is turned on immediately after charging it will give the “low battery” indicator and shut down. In a few minutes, if turned on again it will read 100% charge. Other times it will continue to read 0 battery when turned on again. It has to be charged again. I suspect the temperature may affect this. I am not sure if the feeling warm is normal.

I would not think this would affect the battery, but I commonly do let it run nearly continuously while riding my bike. It will usually run out of power in about 1:50. That is with all wireless connections turned off and voice control turned off.

I am wondering if I have a quirky battery, or if others see this.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro hero 5 black battery seems to overcharge or discharge

Hi @easycruzrig

From a completely depleted battery, it can take about 2 hours using a USB wall charger or about 4 hours if a computer USB port is used. 

When charging is complete, it's important to ensure that you disconnect the camera from the charging source.

To isolate the issue, try using a different cable and see how your camera behaves.

Thanks!
Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hi @easycruzrig

From a completely depleted battery, it can take about 2 hours using a USB wall charger or about 4 hours if a computer USB port is used. 

When charging is complete, it's important to ensure that you disconnect the camera from the charging source.

To isolate the issue, try using a different cable and see how your camera behaves.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

Thanks. I will set an alarm to check it in two hours when charging. An iPad charger seemed to make the worse. I now use the iPhone charger. Strange that it loses the charge. 

GoPro

Sure @easycruzrig

Feel free to post back.

Thanks!