Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro freezes often while charger plugged in

Hello everyone,

I've purchased a GoPro Hero6 Black last september from Amazon (dircetly from Amazon, not through an other seller) and I'm having problems with my camera ever since. Sympthom is, if I'm using the camera with the charger cable plugged in, the camera tends to freeze like 50% of the time I hit the record button. I tested it thoroughly in the recent period and I can't find any logical explanation for this behaviour. I'm using a Samsung EVO Plus UHS-I 128 GB card with a writing speed of 90MB/s and a SanDisk Extreme UHS-I 64 GB card which packaging explicitly says 'Works with GoPro'. So I assume the memory cards can't be the problem. I'm experiencing by the way exactly the same problems with both cards.

• At first, I've tried to contact Amazon's warranty service and sending the camera to a service point here in Germany where I live, describing the sympthoms. They've just sent it back with a piece of paper with a note on it claiming they've tested it and the camera works fine, it should be the memory cards fault (- it obviously isn't).
  • As a second attempt I've contacted the german customer service. They've asked a few things and adviced to format the memory card in the computer instead of the camera (strange...) and to update the camera software again 'manually'. I've felt OK it might be working so I did so and tested the camera. It worked pretty well for the first time and I was optimistic but as I've powered on the camera again a few hours after my first attempt (again plugged in) it froze almost every time I hit the record button. Camera wasn't hot this time because as I've said it happened right after powering on after a longer period.
  • So after all these struggle I called the customer service again explaining them all of the above. I've also told them that sometimes I use the camera on a gimbal and charge it through the gimbal (like with a power bank). After that she asked for a few minutes time while she was consulting with some 'experts'. As she came back she told that I shouldn't charge my camera through the gimbal because it can destroy both devices. It seemed like total bull**bleep** to me because by this time I figured it out she thought I'm using the Karma Grip but it is not even possible to charge the GoPro with a Karma Grip as far as I know. She seemed like to be unaware of this tiny detail though... Then I explained to her this and told her that I'm using a FeiyuTech G6 gimbal which does have the possibility to charge the camera and was specifically developped for GoPro and many people are using this device, I haven't found any complaints about it so far. Then she said that I'm using a third party component with which the functionalty is not guaranteed. She wasn't able to understand that the problem is exactly the same as I'm using the camera with other chargers as well. Then she repeated the same thing again and again that this is an action camera which wasn't layed out for longer usage, and that continous charging while the camera is on is not supported. She again was totally resistant to the fact that the failure occured almost every time directly after switching the camera on and hitting the record button and that the power bank function of the gimbal is only active when the gimbal is turned on. So basically the charging starts only seconds before turning the camera is turned on - as I'm turning the gimbal on. Neither is this continous charging nor it is longer recording. I think the longest video which I've ever recorded was about 10 minutes. By the way, the instruction manual claims unambiguously that the camera can be powered on while charging, just that it won't charge while recording. And that would be perfectly ok, the problem is the camera doesn't actually work in like 50% of this time. So she refused that this can be a warranty issue... One other thing to note here: I told here the freezing happens when the battery is below 40% but this proved to be not true since then.

Other -not so- minor problems which I've experienced in the last time:

• I'm charging the camera powered off and then when the battery is full and I'm powering the camera on it restores the factory settings and forgets everything. After a short time or a reset it suddenly loads somehow my settings back - no idea how.
  • Camera is on battery without charging and it keeps losing the connection with the memory card. (see 3. video)

My problems seem to be a bit similar to this one: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero6-freezes-with-external-power-source/td-p/220041

Here are some videos I made about the random freezing:

https://youtu.be/ZYXsgKXPU7E

https://youtu.be/EBcUf5g6nHk

As it seems on the video, the camera freezes just randomly, like once it works, and by the next recording it freezes again.

And a video about the strange behaviour of the memory card:

https://youtu.be/HvA_pvPma60

It also happend with both of my memory cards.

So I don't quite see a pattern here but to me it is obvious that my camera (or some part of it) is faulty. If I'd guess, I'd say it's the power supply system inside the camera which causes this, but you may know this better than me. The GoPro support however seems to be careless about my problem and they don't want to change my camera. 

Any ideas what could I do? My camera is totally unreliable and thus unusable in this state. If I won't get it changed I must buy an other camera, but this time definitely not a GoPro... Sorry.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Tom

As it seems on the video, my GoPro tends to freeze randomly while being used on external power source. On a gimbal this time, but exactly the same happens on...
As it seems on the video, my GoPro tends to freeze randomly while being used on external power source. On a gimbal this time, but exactly the same happens on...
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro freezes often while charger plugged in

Hello @toma0162. Appreciate you putting in the details of the issue and providing the video clips. One of the SD cards that you are using (Samsung) is not on the list of recommended SD cards here. This should not matter though as you mentioned that the same thing happens with both SD cards. Good to know that your camera is already running on the latest firmware. 

As it was not explicitly stated, does the freezing only happen when the camera is connected to a power source? No freezing at all when the camera is on its own? What is the output voltage/current output from the charger that you are using? Could the camera temperature have increased to cause freezing while it was recording? We did tests with recording while charging, but we are not able to replicate the issue. Hope to hear back from you.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello and thank you for your answer!

As much as I can remember all of the freezing issues occured when a charger was plugged in. It had also happened with various chargers, most of the time I'm using a Hama Quick Charger station which can output current up to 3A, but it controls the voltage and current values according to the attached device. In the car I'm also using a similar Hama Quick Car charger, current up to 3A, controlled. So they can't output higher values than the atteched devices (hence the GoPro) can endure. Unfortunately I couldn't find any specific details about the output of the gimbal power bank (I asked their support, I'll post it here if I get any answer), but I assume it must be ok if the gimbal itself working well (it seems to) because this device was specifically developped for the Hero6 and I haven't found any complaints about it on the internet as well.

One more thing: freezing always happens during the recording, most of the time as soon as I hit the record button. As I know (and also according to the instruction manual) the GoPro can only charge when it's not recording. So if it is on external power source (=charger) and I hit the record button, charging should stop. Therefore I can't explain the freezing while recording with the charging because I didn't have any issues when it was on charger and on but was not recording.

About getting hot: yes, the camera does get hot after a few minutes of recording (if it doesn't freeze :) ) but the freezing happens (as I already explained) most of the time right after I start recording so I think it's also not the reason.

Other than that, as it is also visible on my 3rd video, the issue with the SanDisk card happened when the camera was on battery. So to me it seems like something is wrong with my camera in general.

Thank you and best regards,

Tom

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the additional details that you provided. Considering what we know so far, it seems that there could be a problem with your SD card or a problem with the camera recognizing SD cards.

It is not that the card is not recommended (because it is) but it could be faulty to lost contact/communication with the camera (hence the "no SD," or "file repaired" messages). It is also possible that the SD card slot in the camera may be faulty to cause the disconnect. These disconnects could be the cause of the freezing (camera not continuing to work), or overheating (with the camera taking more effort and using more power writing data on the card). 

We see that you have contacted Support already. It would be best to continue working with Support regarding this issue. When you contact them, you may direct them to this thread, and your previous case for easy reference. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

Search this site for "freezing". And Google "Hero 7 freezing". 

This I promise you, you will not ever, as in never, receive a refund. The refund period is ONLY 30 days from purchase from GoPro.  And IF you request a refund during this time they will not do so and tell you that your MUST accept a warranty replacement. By the time all of this happens your 30 day window will have expired. So, their internal policies are such that you WILL NEVER RECEIVE A REFUND. 

I have been round and round with GoPro and am on my FIFTH camera in 67 days. I currently have a case open with my credit card company, have contacted the consumer protection agency (Federal Trade Commission) and am about to contact my states Attorney General. 

Good luck.

Highlighted
Tourist

Ok thanks. so shall I tell them the my camera needs to be changed?