Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: GoPro freezes constantly and won’t turn off

[ New ]
Except full formatting is not 100pct either. For instance I was recording in-car last Saturday…got the long beep and shutdown following battery low. After that camera had to be reset to factory, card full formatted and so forth. Camera firmware and app not yet robust. Using GoPro supplied cards, 32 & 64gb.

I just app delete and reinstall app at each .x update, full format cards, factory reset camera, reset phone, redo connections on / off configure, long press power button etc as my typical routines.

Not robust! Same corporate problem solving issue as the McD’s ice cream IMO. Companies have scripts and dead end problem resolution options frequently. Do things like check UPS and never GoPro for order status, order and then cancel subs to clear erroneous payment rejections.

I do all this and am not missing shots, but this has been going on for countless months. Think on why McD’s has had the ice cream problem for years, same solution that McDs also cannot solve yet others using the same machine can. It is not a machine issue, it is an organizational behavior / priority matter.
Nomad

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

The tool you linked to is simply just another way to perform a "full format" on your SD card (the same feature that windows has built into it's O/S).  My video already explains how to perform a full format using Windows tools.  Your link is helpful for those who may keep performing "Quick" formats or may be running a Mac (as the tool is available for both Windows and Mac).  The solution is the same though.  A "Quick" format won't fix SD card corruption errors.  A "Full" format is what's needed.

I'm telling you, I tried that built in to the os format and I still had problems, and I tried multiple times. Still had issues.

Used that tool and the issues disappeared, so it must do something differently, because it worked!

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Nomad

[ New ]

Except full formatting is not 100pct either. For instance I was recording in-car last Saturday…got the long beep and shutdown following battery low. After that camera had to be reset to factory, card full formatted and so forth.

Why did you have to reset your camera to factory and fully format your card?  You said you had a low battery and your camera shutdown.  So none of these things are related to a freeze or a lockup.  

I just app delete and reinstall app at each .x update,

Why?

full format cards, factory reset camera, reset phone, redo connections on / off configure, long press power button etc as my typical routines.

Why?  You're saying you're doing all of this without any explination as to why?  If anything, you're abusing your SD card if you're constantly formatting it for no reason and that leads to unrepairable corruption. 

Nomad

[ New ]

@emn420 Actually, you could indeed be very right with your insight.  This is a long shot BUT.....   there have been cases where (like a hard drive) there is a very small "Boot" sector that wouldn't be touched by a full format either.  This is rare but I have heard instances of it.  If this section of the card is at fault, the tool you provided would actually do a full format on the ENTIRE card.  So well done for linking it.  I'd be interested in hearing how your experience are from this point out.  I still get the odd crash from time to time, but you're talking every 2 - 3 months which is about expected for a high performing device.  So if you run across any more issues, please post them as it would be good to get a second opinion on how long your SD cards last without having to preform a full format.  It could even be done as a maintance routine for SD cards in general.  

Good work and excellent follow up!

Nomad

[ New ]
The formatting does not hurt the cards which are still pretty new btw.

Full app delete in phone and reinstall is how I solved the 30 gb too much on Quik app issue. NOW it corresponds to files that I sent there and used the apps on. Saved huge cellular overage too and was suggested by GoPro staff lol - they were right.

I will delete iOS Quik ~Thursday when 8.4 comes out and start that fresh too.

Try using your GoPro more and u’ll run into the lack of robustness issues others have. Company needs organizational changes to save itself IMO. Firmware and Apps need to be more solid out of the gate instead of in effect doing a giant beta effort. SO similar to how McDs has not been able to solve the ice cream machine problem other companies do not experience.
Nomad

[ New ]

The formatting does not hurt the cards which are still pretty new btw.

Although they are new there's the other side of the coin.  The SD card slot may not be as robust as the cards. Scratches, scrapes, bent prongs..  oh and avoid SD card cleaners.  I tried one once..... I ended up having to get something to remove a poorly put together SD card cleaner from an SD card slot.

Full app delete in phone and reinstall is how I solved the 30 gb too much on Quik app issue. NOW it corresponds to files that I sent there and used the apps on.

Well it's one thing I'm not entirely happy with myself.  The GoPro Quik app stores your files from your camera in it's own hidden file format.  So your phone cannot see the files.  So all the files you have just build up and up consuming space.  Yes, you can share the files with your phone gallery, but that just creates copies of these hidden files which can be seen, the original files in the app are still hogging space and cannot be seen.  Every once in a while I'll "clean house" so to speak, but now I finally realize the advantage to unlimited cloud storage.  If I accidently delete something I wanted, it's now on the cloud!

Saved huge cellular overage too and was suggested by GoPro staff lol - they were right.

I have mine set to only upload over WiFi.  But yeah, I can imagine your bill being through the roof if your GoPro is constantly uploading (unlimited data my butt!)

I will delete iOS Quik ~Thursday when 8.4 comes out and start that fresh too.

That's actually a good way to keep house.  I beta test, so I don't do that as I need to see and report how the over install goes.

Try using your GoPro more and u’ll run into the lack of robustness issues others have.

I've been using GoPro's ever since the GP2.  I currently own 3 x Hero 4's (used for my drone fleet), 2 x GP Fusions, 3 x GP 6, 2 x GP 8 and 1 x GP9.  So I've used them quite a lot.  The most robust camera's are the 4 and 8's.  I'm aware of GP issues or as I call it "The reliability issue".  It's why I have so many camera's, I always have backups or 2nd unit shots to cover.  The camera with the most issues..... unfortunately is the 9.  I can understand why, it was already a committed build with a committed release date, covid then shuts down everything including R&D and when things sloooowly started back up, they were only weeks away from a release date.  This is why there's been so many firmware updates and ongoing issues.  Still, it's the first "odd" number camera I've bought from GoPro as these are always the camera's that have the implimentation of new hardware, the following (even number) model is usually the same camera with a few software bells and whistles but "fixed" hardware issues. 

Company needs organizational changes to save itself IMO.

100% agreed.  Start by hiring more software developers.  Lots of camera companies out there, lots of competition and eventually hardware will be undercut easily on price of manufacturing etc.  The only way to differentiate your company from the rest is the reliabitily and usability of the software.  In all fairness, the App is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was, but it still has a lot of catching up to do.  Testing and trouble shooting of firmware needs a lot of work too (then again, not much a firmware update can do if the problem is hardware based).  Brand awareness isn't what is used to be either so marketing needs to improve greatly too.  I understand Mr Woodman needs to make money for his investors, but any interview you now read is all about finances, profits and subscriber sign ups. I haven't read anything recently that showed any passion for end users or for what the cameras can do or where they want to go in the future. 

Firmware and Apps need to be more solid out of the gate instead of in effect doing a giant beta effort.

100% agreed and very very well said!  I don't blame the current developers, they are hard working decent people, but I think they need to expand that department and throw a lot more resources at it.  

SO similar to how McDs has not been able to solve the ice cream machine problem other companies do not experience.

Maybe that particular issue is the same that bars face for their beer and lotto machines.  If you want "X" machine in your bar, you need to pay a certain amount each month to the company that makes it and a percentage of sales generated.  You also need to prominantly display signage and only have it serviced by the companies premium technicians a minimum of once a month (which you will pay for).  So bars either agree to sell their soul or they choose a knock off machine instead.  Now companies say "yeah that's fine, but you got special pricing for using our machines, now we are going to charge you full price to make up for our missed revenue and give you our discount product which isn't formulated for those machines".  Thus explaining why you have terrible icecream........ and warm non frothy pints.......     I think in the GP case, I get the feeling they signed many contracts which backfire in the long run "Yes, we'll sign this great deal and price rate from a shipping company for the next 50 years..................  what do you mean you don't ship batteries unless it's with a camera?" or "Yes, we'll take these greatly discounted SD cards which we can give away for free for the next 50 years..........  what do you mean you'll only do up to 64 GB?  They don't have a constant read write speed?  What?  ".   So yes, some serious inhouse cleaning needs to be done.