Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro freezes constantly and won’t turn off

[ New ]

The camera constantly freezes and I need to remove the battery to get the camera to turn off

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: GoPro freezes constantly and won’t turn off

[ New ]

Actually the majority of freezes on the camera is caused by SD card corruption.  The more your camera freezes, the more it corrupts your card.  A "quick" format of your card in the GoPro does nothing to repair these corrupt sections.  So you start recording again and your camera still crashes and freezes.  The only way to prevent this is to do a full format of the SD card in your PC as this repairs corrupt sections and then perform a format of the card in your camera (which sets the card up to use the proper format and optimal block size).  This is explained in the video.  

Providing you follow the steps given, this will go a long way to preventing camera freezes and crashes.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]
It’s like the always-broken for years McDonalds ice cream machines? Years of this and it worsened. I renew Quik app 2X a month and reflash firmware weekly along with 8s resets daily.
Nomad

[ New ]

This video shows you how to properly format your SD card to stop the freezing issue.

DemonView GoPro Tips 18 SD Card Issues and Care - YouTube

Nomad

[ New ]
That does not solve all freezing, however. 😵‍💫

Kinda funny…GoPros often freeze. And the McDonalds viral-memed broken ice cream machines are *supposed* to freeze. 🤣
Nomad

[ New ]

Use this tool instead

Please let me know if it works

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Nomad

[ New ]

Actually the majority of freezes on the camera is caused by SD card corruption.  The more your camera freezes, the more it corrupts your card.  A "quick" format of your card in the GoPro does nothing to repair these corrupt sections.  So you start recording again and your camera still crashes and freezes.  The only way to prevent this is to do a full format of the SD card in your PC as this repairs corrupt sections and then perform a format of the card in your camera (which sets the card up to use the proper format and optimal block size).  This is explained in the video.  

Providing you follow the steps given, this will go a long way to preventing camera freezes and crashes.

Nomad

[ New ]

I tried this in windows using the windows format option and it did not solve my problems, even with a full format, but then I found this tool, I thought I was linked to it from one of your posts actually @irishmanpdx 

But I could be wrong

Directly from the SDcard Association

Using this tool seems to have solved it

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Nomad

[ New ]

The tool you linked to is simply just another way to perform a "full format" on your SD card (the same feature that windows has built into it's O/S).  My video already explains how to perform a full format using Windows tools.  Your link is helpful for those who may keep performing "Quick" formats or may be running a Mac (as the tool is available for both Windows and Mac).  The solution is the same though.  A "Quick" format won't fix SD card corruption errors.  A "Full" format is what's needed.