Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro footage saving error

[ New ]

In some of my footage from my latest trip to the Philippines there are these very bad white flashes.

And I'm curious how they got there, it doesn't seem like I can get them out, it looks like an ISO problem.

Quite a lot of my footage is now ruined. So knowing how to prevent this in the future would be helpful.

frame2.png

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro footage saving error

[ New ]

Hello @onzemark

Thank you for posting back and providing the details. It seems that the exposed footage was taken under the bright sun light. Aside from setting the ISO, you might also want to turn spot metering to on/off trying out to see first which would be suitable in a given environment. You can also adjust the exposure value compensation accordingly. See page 72 of the camera manual for more on this feature. 

You can also check out Abe Kislevitz' website to learn more about your camera settings. Here is one resource forunderstanding photos in the HERO4

Hope this helps!

Best regards, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @onzemark

Sorry to hear about the exposed media files. Definitely something that we do not want happening again. Basically, we will need to make sure that your camera is manually updated to the latest firmware and that you are using a recommended SD card as listed here. In addition, the settings that you use on your camera needs to be checked prior to using it. 

Do you happen to recall the settings your camera was in when you took the photos/videos?

Thanks, 

Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Marius,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm using the newest firmware, and I'm using a recommended SD card (Sandisk 32GB micro SD Extreme Class 10 UHS-I)

I set the ISO Min & Max to 100. At first I also manually set the shutter. But that overexposed during the day. So I set the shutter back to auto.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @onzemark

Thank you for posting back and providing the details. It seems that the exposed footage was taken under the bright sun light. Aside from setting the ISO, you might also want to turn spot metering to on/off trying out to see first which would be suitable in a given environment. You can also adjust the exposure value compensation accordingly. See page 72 of the camera manual for more on this feature. 

You can also check out Abe Kislevitz' website to learn more about your camera settings. Here is one resource forunderstanding photos in the HERO4

Hope this helps!

Best regards, 
Marius

Explorer

[ New ]
With Hero4 & Hero5 you generally need ND or polarizing filters if you want to manually set the frame rate in bright conditions. In Hero6 you can drop the ISO to 100 and keep the shutter on auto.