Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro customer service Drop off / Even with Plus Membership ($5 / month)

[ New ]

Hello GoPro Community,

I wanted to see who also feels that the GoPro customer service has dropped off over the past few years, in spite of having a paid membership service?

[Background]

First, I want to start with that I have been a fan and,  advocate, of GoPro for years (and many camera models).

Recently I “traded up” two (2) GoPro Hero 4 Blacks and one (1) hero for three (3) new GoPro Hero 7 Blacks.  In addition, I joined the GoPro Plus community ($5 / month) to add some piece-of-mind for the $1,000 in camera gear I just bought.

After about a month of use, I started to notice that the Hero 7 Black would freeze-up a lot, and the only way to remedy this would be removing the battery.

[First Connection with GoPro]

I reached out to GoPro, and they led me to believe that this was a “one-off” issue and that a “hard” firmware reinstall would solve the problem.  I did the “hard” firmware install and used the camera for a few small videos (2-3min) to verify that the install took and everything was good.

[Reoccorance of issue]

A few weeks later, I went to my son’s graduation and set the camera upfront on a tripod to capture the ceremony.  The camera froze 8 minutes into the graduation, but I had no idea because it was up on the tripod.

Needless to say, I was very upset.

[Second Connection with GoPro – Request, and agreement, for Supervisor to call back]

I called GoPro and communicated to the person answering the phone for GoPro (large language barrier).  I went through all of the Freezing, lost memories of my son’s graduation, time spent contacting GoPro and finally, the fact that I traded in 3 WORKING cameras for cameras that would freeze, even after performing recommended interventions.

There was absolutely no empathy for my situation.

I was so upset that I returned everything I could, and asked that a Supervisor call me back.

[Third Connection with GoPro – Request, and agreement, for Supervisor to call back]

After a few days, and not receiving a call from a GoPro supervisor, I reached out to GoPro via the chat tool.  Fast forward 1.75 hrs, and 9 written requests to speak to a supervisor in the US, I finally was connected to a supervisor in the Philippines (or someplace close). 

At this point, I was beyond frustrated and requested to the supervisor that he have someone from the US contact me the next day, he agreed (have the text chat) and I went to bed (it was late for me).

[Forth Connection with GoPro – Request, for a US Supervisor to call back]

Again, after a few days, and not receiving a call from a GoPro supervisor, I reached out to GoPro via the chat tool again.  I cut and paste the agreement I had with the other supervisor about a US customer service person to call me back and, they were no help and wanted to try to resolve a technical issue even after I was very clear that my issue was the lack of follow-through on a commitment from the last supervisor?!?!?

I asked again, “please have a US supervisor contact me”.

[Fith Connection with GoPro – Request, and agreement, for a US Supervisor to call back]

Again, after a few days, and not receiving a call from a GoPro supervisor, I reached out to GoPro via phone. 

The person I spoke to was nice, but not who I wanted to speak to.  I spent about 5 min on the phone, and they assured me that I would get a callback today from a US representative. 

While I have been waiting for a callback, I thought I would provide a narrative of my situation for the GoPro site.  After a few google searches, it seems like this is the norm rather the exception:

>>Trading in good cameras for freezing GoPro hero 7 blacks and, customer service not being supportive<<

[Current situation]

I am out the ~$XXX,000 from the old cameras, out the $300 credits for the trade-in? 

Thank you GoPro from a Stockholder and longtime customer.

(-) ~$1,000 for (2x GoPro Hero 4+) & (1x GoPro Hero)

(-) ~$200 for old camera accessories

(-)  $300 GoPro Credit

{{{ Now I have no cameras, and I’m out the ~$1,500}}}

GoPro

Re: GoPro customer service Drop off / Even with Plus Membership ($5 / month)

[ New ]

Hi @weisserb,

Thank you for reaching out. Sorry about the inconvenience this has caused you. Freezing issue in a camera is usually an indicator the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. I can see that you're already on the right track as far as how troubleshooting goes. If a recommended SD card is already in use and the firmware update has been re-installed, our Support team can assist you on the best approach to resolve this moving forward.

This isn't the kind of experience we intended you to have, as we certainly want to help as best as we can and in any way that we could. I already notified the team handling your case. Please keep your lines open for any update.

Your time and patience are very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Ann

Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you, I am still waiting on two promised calls back. At this point, I feel like I’m getting a lot of lip service and no action.

I’m going to keep posting and making noise on all platforms until I get some satisfaction.

I’m really disappointed with GoPro.
Hiker

[ New ]

As someone who worked for a startup that eventually fell apart... I can see a number of similar worrying signs with regards to GoPro.

The flagship Hero 7 has significant issues. Some have existed since Hero 6 and there hasn't been an update for months.

There has been a reduction in staff over the past several years and methinks some experienced people have left (as evidenced by numerous job advertisements and media articles)... This would go part-way in explaining the half-assed peripheral implementation on Hero 7 / 6 as well as the lack of software updates on their flagship Hero 7 Black.

GoPro appears to be going downhill... which is a shame.

Hopefully they can get their act together... especially since the Hero 7 has proven a financial success.

Don't hold your breath. If you don't get the service you need... take your business elsewhere. I know I'm considering the same. The RX0 II and Osmo Action are looking really interesting.

Hiker

[ New ]
Than you for the perspective, seems like a reasonable assessment of the situation.
Hiker

[ New ]
Still waiting on all of the promised call backs.....
Explorer

[ New ]

@weisserb 

You state that you posted because you wanted to know if others felt that customer service has dropped over the past few years.  I can only speak for myself, but the interactions that I have had have been great.

I'm not entirely clear on your current status. You returned your HERO7 Black cameras?

Hiker

[ New ]
@danielr15

That's cool, what did you have to engage them for?