Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: GoPro constantly freezes underwater

I had the same problem with my GoPro 7 Black. Worked perfectly on dry land, froze almost instantly when diving with the housing. I read all the proposed solutions, but I didn’t think this was a card or firmware or settings problem. I also didn’t think it was a temperature issue since underwater is generally cooler than on air. So it had to be something specific to underwater.

With adventure camera that don’t need a housing underwater the screen is usually the weak spot. But the GoPro underwater housing doesn’t even rouch the actual GoPro display. HOWEVER, the two rubbery strips that push the GoPro firmly into position inside the housing do touch. And the pressure if that touch increases with depth.

So I removed those two strips. That way, nothing touches the GoPro screen. Went diving. Freezing problem gone. Had the 7 Black on during an entire dive at Mary’s Place in Roatan, Honduras. No more freezing problems. 

Explorer

Did you try locking the rear screen? It sounds like you found a viable solution with removing the rubbery strips, but I'm wondering if locking the screen would have worked instead.
Tourist

[ Edited ]

It’s conceivable that the screen lock might work, but I rather have a solution that fixes the problem permanently than depending on remembering the screen lock. As is, this reminds me a bit of diving Socorro with an initial GoPro and finally seeing the giant Mantas, and then ending up with all blurry footage because GoPro hadn’t figured out yet that a domed housing did not let the GoPro focus underwater (hence the later flat lens housing). The pressure strip glitch also should have been caught during the testing phase of the 7 Black. 

Tourist

@conradb212 

Agree with @danielr15  that you appear to have found a solution, and that screenlock may work too.

Were you in video or photo mode, and did you start shooting before entering the water?

Note that the black strips are right at the screen edge, possibly outside the input area. 

Also with the SuperSuit enclosing the GoPro it will trap some heat (maybe beyond the water cooling level), so this may be a factor.

My experience for video is that it works using QuickCapture (entering water with GoPro off with video mode pre-selected, then just using the Record button to start & stop video recording), with screenlock enabled.

Tourist

Before removing the pressure strips, the Hero 7 Black always froze on me at around 20-30 feet (where the pressure quickly doubles compared to the surface) in video or photo mode. I am fairly convinced that it is the pressure of those strips onto the backside of the GoPro that causes the problem. The pressure may not be onto the LED area itself, but it is still onto the clear backside of the camera. And since it is a capacitive screen, having mounting contact onto both the top and the bottom of the backside could easily lead to all sorts of issues. I can see two simple solutions. One is for GoPro to use slimmer pressure strips. The other is to have a reliable touchscreen off setting. I’d like to see both implemented. 

GoPro

Thank you for sharing, @conradb212. Great to know that you are not having underwater freezing issues any more with your GoPro. We will pass your feedback to the team for a closer look. Have fun filming!

Sightseer

I'm having the exact same problems and it pisses me off. These camera's and accerories are by no means cheap! This simply should not be happening! I'm in the hole for about $800 for a POS camera that freezes when I'm scuba diving! Not happy Go Pro! I want a full refund.

GoPro

Hi @davidb068

If you have gone through the steps on Camera Freezes Up and it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!
Ej