Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: GoPro constantly freezes underwater

Thank you so much for that cheers
Hiker

The freezing described is probably caused by the "touchscreen bug" on Hero7 Black. I have described it in detail here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/This-is-why-my-Hero7-Black-freezes-when-in-water-does-yours/m...

As far as I know there is no solution except changing to another camera model, I'm currently back to Hero5 Session.

Hiker

Other divers I know who have GoPro 7 blacks with supersuits have mixed experiences with freezing and we have tried everything (new recommended SD cards, replacing supersuits, latest updates, formatting SD cards, manual firmware updates, different settings). I've since returned my GoPro 7 black, gone back to my GoPro 5 black and waiting on the GoPro 8 to be released
Tourist

Hi Bailey

I too was experiencing this freezing up a couple of weeks ago on a whaleshark trip to Exmouth WA.

Luckly I had a second booking later in the weeks holiday, and managed to get it to work successfully.

Steps taken are listed below, but I do not know which is the critical one.

1. Greased white o-ring seal with silicone grease - always did this for previous underwater cameras - wondered if this was required to locate camera optimally in the super suit housing
  2. Checked that camera was centred in housing.
  3. Configured record button as dual function power & record button - QuikCapture feature
  4. Configured screenlock - toggled lock icon on - this may suppress false input
  5. Configured Landscape Lock as Up - Preferrences - Touch Display - Landscape Lock

Regards

Owen

Explorer

@daringflar04 has some very good suggestions. i would also add that you should make sure that Auto Low Light is turned OFF as this has been the most frequent reported fix for correcting freezing issues. Put the camera in 1080p/60fps and then check that Auto Low light is turned OFF. once you've done this, you can change settings to whatever you want.
Sightseer

The GoPro Hero 5 Black will freeze underwater if you follow the guidelines for using the Super Suite: run the brightness at 100%, turn screen saver and auto off to ‘never’. Basically the camera overheats and the only way to re-set is to remove the battery (which kind of defeats the purpose). If you are diving in less than 10m 33ft don’t use the super suite. If you are going deeper don’t follow the recommended settings. I find that turning it off in between shots/videos works...this means you can’t really video a full dive from a mask mount....GoPro need a better solution to this.

Tourist

Sorry but what do you mean use a super suite
Explorer

Super Suite is the Housing for diving below 10 meters (30 feet). https://shop.gopro.com/mounts/super-suit/AADIV-001.html

@blueapex02
Where did you read these "guidelines for using the Super Suite"?