Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: GoPro constantly freezes underwater

I have the same problem. It's unusable in the supersuit and keeps freezing.with video. My settings are video, 1080p, 60fps, Fov:wide, low light:auto,stabilisation:auto, protune:off, touch display: up,screensaver:never and the autoscreen lock is off

I have updated the firmware and replaced the SD card with a SanDisk pro which is on the recommended list. Confirmed this also happens with my friends Gopro7 Black.

I have no issues using it outside of the supersuit housing. I'm guessing that as you can't really disable the touchscreen, the supersuit is touching the touchscreen and there is a software glitch. I'm going back to my GoPro 5 in the interim. Hopefully GoPro can add a setting to fully disable the touchscreen and the auto dimming otherwise it's time to get a paralenz
Hiker

Water temp as 20 degs celcius and depth was less than 9m. I am also getting an occasional corrupt file but I think that might be occurring due to the freezing.
Explorer

Turn the auto low light off. That seems to resolve the issue for most people. If you are using the camera in lower light, set the frame rate to 30 or 24 fps.

Also, some have reported that locking the orientation to UP (or down if you use the camera upside down) helps, so you might want to do that as well.
Hiker

Thanks Dan. I tried shooting with auto low light turned off at 20+m but it's very dark and shooting at lower than 30fps isn't great for vids. I've currently locked the orientation to Up which seemed to fix the rotation freezing issue.

Honestly if I can't shoot at a min with the settings as per my GoPro 5 (1080p, 30fps, auto low light, no touchscreen) I'll probably return my GoPro 7 black and ask for a refund.
Hiker

Called GoPro support and they provided the following advice. Will see how the manual firmware upgrade goes.

I know that you've already updated the camera through the GoPro App. However, please do a manual update so that we can be 100% sure that this is a manufacturing defect. Use a different SD card to perform the manual update. As you've mentioned that you don't have a PC with you right now, please do the manual update when you get back home.

First, let's try formatting the card in the camera. (Please keep in mind that formatting your microSD card will delete all of your photos and videos, so be sure to back them up).
Swipe from top to bottom, tap "Preferences", scroll down, tap on "Reset" and then tap on "Format SD card".

If you can't do it in the camera, here are instructions on how to do so through your computer (using a SD card reader/adapter), Format Your SD Card.

Now that your card has been formatted, lets manually update your camera’s software. Even if your camera is up to date with the most recent software version, re-updating the camera can correct any issues that may have developed. To manually update your camera, you will need a couple of things:
MicroSD card Reader/ Adapter
Laptop/ Desktop Computer
To begin manually updating your camera, please follow the instructions below,
Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 Black camera.
Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
Click "Download Update."
Click "Click here to download firmware."
Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system
After downloading the "UPDATE.zip" file, you need to unzip it
You'll get a new folder called "UPDATE", copy-paste/ drag that folder to the formatted mSD card (which was connected with the computer)
Insert the SD card into the camera, turn it on, Camera will update itself

Please be sure to check out our SD card recommendations list to make sure we are using an appropriate SD card.

These steps should get you back up and running. If, after updating your camera and trying multiple SD cards, you continue to have the same issue, your camera needs to be replaced under warranty through the retailed. All you need to do is give them the case number and let them know that you have contacted us and you've tried the troubleshooting steps provided by us.
Hiker

Performed the requested manual firmware update as per the support email. 

I tested the GoPro 7 Black without the supersuit, recorded video, left the screen on, recorded more video, changed settings and moved the camera (sometimes up and shooting, other times hanging) as per underwater.  This was done several times and the camera didn't freeze at any point. (I used the same settings I described before)

I then added the GoPro7 Black to the GoPro supersuit and performed the same tests.  This time it froze within a few minutes while not recording but the screen was on.  This is consistent with the previous behaviour observed when underwater and using the SuperSuit

As instructed, I'll return the device to the retailer for a replacement GoPro7 Black.  Will see how the next one goes (not confident)

Explorer

It sounds like maybe the rear LCD is reading the pressure from the back door of the SuperSuit as touch input.  Try locking the screen and then test again.  If the issue is coming from the use of the SuperSuit, I'm concerned that you are just going to be repeating the same issue with a new camera.  If you can determine that it is the SuperSuit, then the housing might be what needs to be exchanged and not the camera.

Hiker

Hi Daniel

I tried locking the screen as well and it still freezes so it does appear to be bug with the touch screen when the back of the supersuit is touching it (the foam is used at the back of the supersuit to hold the camera in place in the housing. I'm not confident getting a new supersuit will fix this either as still has the foam on the door which can press the touchscreen.

Amazon have refunded my purchase after I contacted them with the case number. Before even consider buying another one I'm going to test my friends gopro 7 black and his new supersuit. Fingers crossed