Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro constantly freezes underwater

Using my Gopro Hero 7 black, and it is constantly freezing whilst using it in the water. I am running it with screen lock on, and this seems to be the only time the problem occurs. Whilst I'm using it out of water with no screen lock, there is no freezing.

The only way to resolve the freezing is to remove the battery, but doing that whilst in the water is impossible. So that isn't a solution

I'm running the latest firmware, done all the manual updates, using the recommended SD Cards by GoPro. This is already my second replacement Hero 7 Black since it was launched. 

Anybody else had any issues with their Hero 7 Black freezing whilst being using in water? 

Tourist

Re: GoPro constantly freezes underwater

Having the exact same issue here. Very frustrating on a SCUBA dive at the Great Barrier Reef.
GoPro

Hi @baileyl6848

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Can you please provide the exact details such as the temperature and how deep is it before the camera freeze. 

We'll forward this to our team.

@agilejump16167,

Have you tried checking if you're using a recommended and fast SD card?

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations#list2

If you are Please try to update the firmware manually and let us know if same issue will happen.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras

Make sure to follow manual update steps posted above.

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

The camera was housed in a GoPro brand Supersuit, and was using an SD card purchased from GoPro. This was on a <10m dive and the sea temperature was ~25°C

This problem also occurs frequently on land. After being on standby for ~2 mins, the screen freezes and the camera is inoperable / needs to have the battery removed.

It is running the latest firmware version, updated via the GoPro app.

I also have issues where the camera tells me ‘WiFi not ready’.

Additionally, occasionally the camera will not start filming.

The camera is also occasionally producing corrupt media files, and gets incredibly hot to the touch in most circumstances.

Just to reiterate, I am using multiple 64GB SD cards purchased from GoPro, and the issue is present on all of them, so it would be really helpful if the default response wasn’t to check my SD card.

This is clearly defective hardware. I do not expect to have to be manually writing a firmware image to a device which cost as much as this.

This is my first GoPro device and I am frankly amazed at the amount of bugs I’ve encountered.
GoPro

Got it @agilejump16167,

Thanks for those information and we'll forward this to our team. This isn't the experience we want you to have.

I would suggest to contact our customer support team and check, they might have a solution. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

I hope that this would be all sorted out.

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

Hey mate, 

Outside temperature roughly 27 degrees celcius, and depth of water not even 1 foot of water. 

This is already my second replacement camera as my last one had issues with the battery and severe overheating. 

This is a little disappointing as I bought this camera to use in water, and I cannot do so without my GoPro freezing... 

I have the latest firmware, and my SD card is the GoPro recommended one

Thanks, 

Bailey 

GoPro

Got it @baileyl6848,

That isn't normal. 

I would suggest to try to update it again manually and check if same issue will occur. 

Not sure if it's firmware or hardware.

If issue persist I suggest to contact our customer support team. 

It might be a hardware problem. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

I have a similar water freeze problem documented here and also the reason why it occurs: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/This-is-why-my-Hero7-Black-freezes-when-in-water-does-yours/m...