Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

GoPro and OBS questions (multi camera set up)

So I have a thing I’m trying to do with a GoPro max and I’m hoping y’all can help me.

I’ve recently been working on streams for a music venue I worked at before everything shut down, I’ve set up a super nice simple single camera set up to stream live bands and it’s going great however I want to add some more
Camera angles (one overlooking the drum set, one closer to the singer etc) the venue I work for bought two gopro Maxs before I could make a recommendation lol, so I am wondering two things:

1. Can I add these to the network and connect them to OBS wirelessly as a second and third camera.

2. What is the maximum length of cable I can hardwire them before quality is lost (I don’t mind running fifteen feet of usb C or daisy changing USB cables if that’s possible, I would actually prefer to hardwire them)

Full disclosure, I had literally no background in anything AV until I started streaming my own silly music stuff from home, I just happened to be the only IT guy that worked at the venue so that’s why it became my job.
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro and OBS questions (multi camera set up)

Can I add these to the network and connect them to OBS wirelessly as a second and third camera.

I would be surprised if you could add one camera to OBS let alone multiple camera's.  There's only 2 pieces of software out there for connecting your GoPro's to OBS Wirelessly (and both have huge lag as a result) and neither of those pieces of software can support the GoPro Max.

What is the maximum length of cable I can hardwire them before quality is lost (I don’t mind running fifteen feet of usb C or daisy changing USB cables if that’s possible, I would actually prefer to hardwire them)

What quality?  The GoPro Max only supports charging and file transfer over USB-C.  It does not support video out over USB-C.  So you're not going to be able to hardwire your camera and get a video signal.

Full disclosure, I had literally no background in anything AV until I started streaming my own silly music stuff from home, I just happened to be the only IT guy that worked at the venue so that’s why it became my job.

So if you want a multicamera setup with zero lag, then either

A:  buy a couple of webcams

B:   Use a couple of camcorders

C:  Use some DSLR's that support live video out

D:  Use some cell phones that support video out over USB-C

E:  Use  GoPro's 4, 5, 6, 7, or Hero 8 with a media mod and run them into some HDMI to USB capture cards or HDMI to video mixer to USB capture card.

You're not going to be able to achieve what you want to do with a GoPro Max.