Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

GoPro & app unable to view videos after organizing on SD

After recording a bunch of videos on my GoPro 8, I had the SD card in my MacBook and was organizing them into folders by date. I didn’t realize that this would cause the camera and iPhone app to no longer be able to play the videos. I tried taking some of the videos back out of the folders I created (replaced in original location) and it still says “unable to view.” How can I remedy this? And in the future, what’s the best way to organize files so I don’t create new problems? Thank you!
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro & app unable to view videos after organizing on SD

Unless you converted the files when you transferred them over, they should be ok. Are they playable on your computer? Also, have you tried importing them into the Quik for Desktop app? That may help you do what you're trying to do.

As for the best practice, we recommend importing using Quik for Desktop. Info on this is at https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/How-to-Import-Using-Quik-for-desktop. Once the files are imported, you can move them into folders as you normally would.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: GoPro & app unable to view videos after organizing on SD

I didn’t convert them, just previewed them on the laptop and added them to new folders labeled with the date. From then on, they are not viewable on the camera itself or the app. Haven’t tried Quik. I was sure that restoring them to the original location (removing from folders) would fix the problem, but it didn’t. Bummed because it seems I’ve now lost the ability to edit within the app, grab still shots, mark highlights, etc. Just upgraded from the hero for, and I don’t remember having this problem before.