Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro Video Files Name saving sequence wrong?

You show the DateModified in the file listing or File Explorer.  Right Click on the column titles and tick Date and Date Created

Highlighted
Tourist

You probably not reading before commenting. During export, GoPro drops all info on dates. If you export some photo from middle, it get current time, and encrypted (stupid) name. Then next exported file will get newer date, even if it would have been taken a day earlier. That's how super silly GoPro export works.

Highlighted
Hiker

The OP posted an image of their file list of their SD card showing the "Date Modified" column but no other date columns.  They also asked if there was a way of sorting by the create date.  They made nomention of downloading to an iPhone or Android device.

If I copy across the files I get the original created date in the "Date" column.  If I import media using Quick and I use file explorer to navigate to the gopro directory then the original creation date is in the "Date" column.  

There is a different between Date, Date Created and Date Modified On NTFS drive under Windows 10.

Photographs will also have "Date Taken" column.

Highlighted
Tourist

After using my GoPro Hero 6 Black for a few months I can say that I will never buy another GoPro if they persist in this SCHEME to force users to use their software to manage the photos/videos.  The GoPro software is OK - a friend made a really cool video right on his iPhone, and I may learn to use it some day but right now I use Pinnacle Studio and I should be able to copy/move the files from my camera to my PC and then sort them in chronological order.  THIS MAKES FOR AN AWFUL USER EXPERIENCE AND I WON'T BUY ANOTHER GOPRO CAMERA.

Highlighted
Tourist

I just come across this and I thought no one complained so I just 'worked' with it.  I completely agree with the posters here, this is an awful interface.  The first thing I have to do each time with these files is to rename them in the right sequence based on the time.  I really hate this and would agree with the notion that GoPro should change this.

Highlighted
Hiker

100% agreed

Posted a message in the feedback section provided by a gopro guy in page 2.

Not sure if this will get any attention but at least I tried (and I guess it's more likely to have any impact than posts in a forum) so hopefully other people will use the feedback thing and someday gopro will fix this nonsense.

Highlighted
Tourist

I think the correct word is RETARDED.  My very expensive editing software expects that whoever names the files has the brains to put the sequence number of the set AFTER the frigging SET NUMBER.  "Crap" is not descriptive enough to describe this cluster.

Highlighted
Tourist

Essentially you have to open the data directory and rename the files before importing them.  I do this on the NAS after I copy the raw card to storage just in case there is a mistake made (likely by me but possibly by the OS) that damages the file.  Once you do this so that the file names match the correct date/time sequence you should be ok.  Best of luck getting these guys to change anything... they just don't see it as a problem that needs to be fixed...