Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

GoPro Video Files Name saving sequence wrong?

[ New ]

Hello I recorded 2 2hour long videos.  I opened the SD card and noticed the video is divided in 4Gb chunks which I expected. The weird thing is the naming convention because all the chunks are not in sequential order unless I import them to Quik. Is this normal? Is there any setting to organise the names in a "date of creation" basis kind of thing?  

Thank you

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 8.53.14 pm.png
Tourist

Re: GoPro Video Files Name saving sequence wrong?

[ New ]

Hi, Yes this is normal. A bit confusing I know.

If you look at all the files ending 40 you will notice they are ending with 0040, 10040, 20040 etc. That is your sequential files, joining those one after the other will make a complete video. The 0041, 10041 etc will be another complete video when joined in editing.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yes, The OS will sort and display the folder by alphebetical order by default.

I bet if you changed it to sort by date/time created it would show in the proper order as well.

Basicly it creates a set of file in the following nameing format

GOPRxxxx.mp4 for the initial file and then GPzzxxxx.mp4 for the chapters

xxxx is the file number and zz chapter 

So for example the file GOPR0040 would be the first file and GP000040 would be the first chaptered file and then GP010040 will be the second chaptered file and so forth

Hiker

Complete Crap

[ New ]

Just as info,

because people seem to just accept this.

This is complete crap. Please change this in future versions.

Having those 4GB limit in 2017 is complete crap too, so, when users want to merge their videos locally to one big file, and then they also have to fight against the naming convention. It's double time crap.

Already a little bit too much.

Adventurer

Re: Complete Crap

[ New ]

looks good    each video you shot are longer then a chapter that is what you're seeing 

Anonymous

[ New ]

How can I second this motion! I absolutely hate this chaptering crap. I wish they would provide an option to disable the chaptering if this is what its called.

I want to start a recording call it 0001 then stop, then start recording and it be called 0002 then stop then keep going so I can following my day without a crazy numbering scheme the way it is. How is this logical to call it 00041 then 100041? WTF do we even know how a computer would recognize or organize this? half the time I spend more time looking for my next so called chapter. It really should be called the next frame or frames or the next 4GB or the next video after its stopped or the Freaking very next video.

How can we let GoPro know to allow the end user to choose how they want to store and name the files? Why does this sound like APPLE for video camera?

Gosh! I love the Gopro Quality but I hate what GoPro does with the Naming conventions.

Please please GOPRO its this simple: record stop 001, record stop 002, record stop 003, record stop 004 etc.......

let this be an option for users and chaptering be another one because I have a use case for the above, I know others do too.

why not give the user the freedom to decide for themselves.

okay im done venting

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ New ]

While I like the fact it stores after X minutes in case of some type of failure event, I *hate* (HATE HATE LOATHE DESPISE) this effing numbering system. It makes no intuitive sense, and it takes me longer to assemble my many videos as a result, sorting through 17 different recordings broken up into any number of sub-recordings, all named as they are.

After copying files off the camera, the dates reflect the *copy* time, not the created time, so sorting by time is useless. I want something like this, although really anything that is actually sequential would be fine:

First recording:

0011 or 0012

00111 or 0013

001111 or 0014

Second recording:

0022 or 0021

00222 or 0022

002222 or 0023

and so on. As one might surmise from my tone, this is driving me absolutely bonkers.

Tourist

[ New ]
Limiting to 4G is just fine. Compatible with most computers old or new. Also safer than corrupting e.g. a 20G file.

Regarding filename it's really stupid.

GP000000
GP100000
GP200000
GP200001
GP300000

etc should be ok
Hiker

[ New ]

Yes it's stupid.  But it's always been stupid (every GoPro ever made, does some version of this). 

If they haven't fixed it by now, they never will. 

They actually did update the filename scheme for the Hero6 but it's equally as useless as the original

Used to be

GOPRnnnn.mp4

GP01nnnn.mp4

GP02nnnn.mp4.

Now it's

GH01nnnn.mp4

GH02nnnn.mp4

GH03nnnn.mp4

It looks more consistent, but it still sorts the same as before.

GH010001.mp4   (start of first video)

GH010002.mp4   (start of 2nd video)

GH020001.mp4  (continuation of first video)

GH020002.mp4  (continuation of 2nd video) 

The advantage of the current scheme is that if you're sorted by filename you can very easily see how many total videos you shot, because they're all grouped together at the top of the list. 

All you can do after that, is pick the first file in the video, select it, then sort by date assending (click twice on date column) and then grab the rest of the files with the same ending sequence #.

To get what we want they would have to reverse the order of the two sequences in the name. 

E.g.

GH000101.mp4   (first video, first segment)

GH000102.mp4   (first video, second segment)

GH000103.mp4   (first video, third segment)

GH000201.mp4   (second video, first segment)

GH000202.mp4   (second video, second segment)

and so forth.

It would work, but I suspect it would still confuse people, as it would not be immediately obvious how many videos you shot, since they're always grouped all together. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

@daemn42 wrote:

The advantage of the current scheme is that if you're sorted by filename you can very easily see how many total videos you shot, because they're all grouped together at the top of the list. 

All you can do after that, is pick the first file in the video, select it, then sort by date assending (click twice on date column) and then grab the rest of the files with the same ending sequence #.

@daemn42 Great observation about the advantages of this naming convention. I hadn't thought of this.

For my purposes it's still more of a nuisance than a boon. I personally gain very little from knowing how many total videos I've shot. Plus, I'd rather not have to sort and/or rename everything when editing time comes around. I doubt they'll want to change their default conventions, but GoPro could throw some of us a bone by building in the option to select a naming convention in the preferences menu, similar to how we can set the date format. Pretty please!

Tourist

[ New ]

If anyone is listening at GoPro - PLEASE change this ridiculous naming format! It creates unncessary confussion every time I start editing videos in Premiere and other video editing apps. This is a very simple fix:

GOPR1234.mp4 (first video)
GOPR1234-01.mp4 (1st chapter of the original video)
GOPR1234-02.mp4 (2nd chapter of the same video)

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bazzaretta

For reference, here is a link on the filename format. GoPro Camera File Naming Convention

You may leave your feedback/suggestion regarding the naming of the files on this link.

Thanks!

EJ

Tourist

[ New ]

Please fix this crap

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @jjohncase

Are you having the same issue with the GoPro media files that you have? At this time, the file naming convention is described as in this article. If you would have recommendations or suggestions, you can submit them through https://gopro.com/feedback

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

I think you're all missing the point.  This isn't something to be "fixed", it is clearly an attempt to force us to use THEIR software to assemble a complete video from its pieces.  THAT IS BAD BUSINESS POLICY (or as stated earlier, it is CRAP).

Tourist

[ New ]

File naming is the most stupid thing I have ever seen regarding such part in tech!

Seriously, GoPro "engineers", I think it should be not for you to decide but for end clients/users (if you do not get it).

Also, even more stupid thing I discovered, that if you export files through iPhone, and then to Mac (or PC), then files get's renamed even more dummier that stuppid. So GoPro leaves us with insequential files by name, and NO METADATA!!! WTF?!

Exported photos through iPhone get's zero info to even recover their sequence. This is absolute disgrace and ignorance! Fix this crap! And add feature to export to iPhone with exact name and all metadata, please. This is so important for work with video. Why do I need to struggle just because you want it to be different way. Give me control over the naming so I could configure once, and enjoy your product, instead being frustraded. And it's not even rocket science to mid-level engineers (and I expect you have at least one seniour to help you out).

How I'm supposed to restore now all my videos when there is no metadata, and names are some weird mumbo jumbo... such as "562980522.113089.MP4", what is this, what date and time is this taken? Which GPS location? I pay for feature on camera, but when I click export, you take away all the basic from me and shufle some **bleep** name and spit out in my face some crap. FIX IT, or hire some profesionals to fix it for you.

Go pro Software is total crap in all possible ways. Everything is lagging, lack of basic features.

Though, I doubt they'll read this or care about their customers.

Hiker

[ New ]

You show the DateModified in the file listing or File Explorer.  Right Click on the column titles and tick Date and Date Created

Tourist

[ New ]

You probably not reading before commenting. During export, GoPro drops all info on dates. If you export some photo from middle, it get current time, and encrypted (stupid) name. Then next exported file will get newer date, even if it would have been taken a day earlier. That's how super silly GoPro export works.

Hiker

[ New ]

The OP posted an image of their file list of their SD card showing the "Date Modified" column but no other date columns.  They also asked if there was a way of sorting by the create date.  They made nomention of downloading to an iPhone or Android device.

If I copy across the files I get the original created date in the "Date" column.  If I import media using Quick and I use file explorer to navigate to the gopro directory then the original creation date is in the "Date" column.  

There is a different between Date, Date Created and Date Modified On NTFS drive under Windows 10.

Photographs will also have "Date Taken" column.

Tourist

[ New ]

After using my GoPro Hero 6 Black for a few months I can say that I will never buy another GoPro if they persist in this SCHEME to force users to use their software to manage the photos/videos.  The GoPro software is OK - a friend made a really cool video right on his iPhone, and I may learn to use it some day but right now I use Pinnacle Studio and I should be able to copy/move the files from my camera to my PC and then sort them in chronological order.  THIS MAKES FOR AN AWFUL USER EXPERIENCE AND I WON'T BUY ANOTHER GOPRO CAMERA.

Tourist

[ New ]

I just come across this and I thought no one complained so I just 'worked' with it.  I completely agree with the posters here, this is an awful interface.  The first thing I have to do each time with these files is to rename them in the right sequence based on the time.  I really hate this and would agree with the notion that GoPro should change this.

Hiker

[ New ]

100% agreed

Posted a message in the feedback section provided by a gopro guy in page 2.

Not sure if this will get any attention but at least I tried (and I guess it's more likely to have any impact than posts in a forum) so hopefully other people will use the feedback thing and someday gopro will fix this nonsense.

Tourist

[ New ]

I think the correct word is RETARDED.  My very expensive editing software expects that whoever names the files has the brains to put the sequence number of the set AFTER the frigging SET NUMBER.  "Crap" is not descriptive enough to describe this cluster.

Tourist

[ New ]

Essentially you have to open the data directory and rename the files before importing them.  I do this on the NAS after I copy the raw card to storage just in case there is a mistake made (likely by me but possibly by the OS) that damages the file.  Once you do this so that the file names match the correct date/time sequence you should be ok.  Best of luck getting these guys to change anything... they just don't see it as a problem that needs to be fixed...  

Tourist

[ New ]

Or you could just use this bat script:

SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
for %%f in (GP*.MP4) do (
set a=%%f
set chap=!a:~2,2!
set vid=!a:~4,4!
ren %%f GOPR!vid!!chap!.MP4
)

Place it into the directory with raw files and run.

Tourist

[ New ]

Cool stuff! Doesn't work for me though (neither in Windows nor in Edius), the unaffected filenames need to be complemented with trailing zeros so that the length of the filename is the same. Can you amend the code accordingly? I will also try but I'm not smart enough for that :)

Tourist

[ New ]

is this ok? Works for me but I don't speak this language, so to speak...it's just "logic".

SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

for %%f in (GO*.MP4) do (
    set a=%%f
    set ORI=!a:~4,4!
    ren %%f GOPR!ORI!00.MP4
    )

for %%f in (GP*.MP4) do (
    set a=%%f
    set chap=!a:~2,2!
    set vid=!a:~4,4!
    ren %%f GOPR!vid!!chap!.MP4
    )

Sightseer

[ New ]

Just made the same hideous discovery.  Have 86 x 20-30s clips from cycling tour.  Imported to GoPro app on iPad while on tour using wifi.  Exported from GoPro App to iPad Photos when I got home.  Apple dutifully uploaded to iCloud and now I find the clips are file named: nnnnnnnnn.nnnnnn.mp4.  With no way of interpreting and no meta data.  And time stamps that seem to relate to the transfers rather than the date taken.  Utterly useless.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @rossp45872

Do you still have the files stored on your SD card?

How are the names of the files once transferred to your Photos?

Would you mind trying to import a couple of files again.

See if it makes a difference.

If you have access to another device, please try it as well.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

I think it's a hell of a thing to edit files in chronological order when mixing timewarp and regular video. And arrange dates don't work in Windows either.

Hiker

[ New ]

I think it is problematic to edit files in chronological order when separating timewarp (GX) and regular video (GH). And arranging dates doesn't always work in Windows. So what you have to do is manually change all files to either GH or GX or use a batch file renamer.

Hiker

[ New ]

Here how to batch rename your videos