Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

GoPro Upload to GoPro Plus Extremely Slow

Is this correct that there is a two step upload process to get my gopro max videos to the cloud?

First, I need to get the media from the gopro max to the gopro app.

Then, I need to get the media from the gopro app to the gopro cloud (plus)?

This is taking extremely long. I have the gopro plugged in and connected to the wi-fi network of choice. I have had it plugged in for more than an hour and only 1 of 21 videos have been moved to the cloud. Is there a way to upload from the iOs app to the cloud without having to plug in the gopro again? Or is there an even faster way to do this? I donʻt want to drag and drop the files from the SD Card to the cloud because it does not save the .thm and .lrv files that I would need to view the .360 files in the iOs app. 

Do you have any suggetions as to how I can speed this up? Or if the files will upload directly from the app to the cloud as long as my iOs device is connected to wi-fi?

Thank you

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Upload to GoPro Plus Extremely Slow

Hello @boldhike267

You can set the camera as a hub and upload directly to PLUS.

Here are some links for reference:

How to Set Up Auto Upload with GoPro Plus

Auto Uploading Your Footage to the Cloud With GoPro Plus

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Uploading large files to the cloud was painfully slow for me.  I have 60 Mbps download internet which may be a factor. 

Fyi, I have the gopro app on an iPad Pro 11, and even with 256 GB of storage, I'll need to offload the files regularly, as every hour of 360 video requires about 30 GB of storage, 

Gopro suggest three methods to upload files to the Cloud: 

-mobile upload

-auto upload via your wifi

-add media directly to gopro.com

Perhaps my internet is too slow, but I had very limited success uploading via mobile or auto uploading.  Usually the upload stopped after a few hours with various error messages on my camera screen.

The third option of adding media to my account on gopro.com worked for me, but first I waisted a lot of time trying to add the media directly from my camera which was connected to my laptop.  The error message when uploading this way was 'Looks like some of your files didn't make it'. 

The fastest method for me (not fast but at least I got it to upload) was As follows, (note, the files were mostly 4 GB .360 files, so large files):

1/I first Downloaded the files to the GoPro App in camera before connecting the camera to my PC

-connect camera to PC via USB C cable connection

2/find gopro device on your PC

3/ copy files from gopro folder to a new folder on your pc (I copied to a relatively fast SSD drive).

4/open gopro.com and sign in to your account

5/click your avatar

6/click My media from drop down menu

7/click Add Media

8/open folder on your PC where you stored the GoPor media files and drag a file from that folder to the Add Media window 
-note, I tried uploading 2 or more files into the Add Media window, and after a while got an error message that some of the files did not make it, so I uploaded one file at a time.

Note: a 4 GB file took about an hour to upload to the cloud, so it's not fast, but it worked for me.  The other methods, ie using the camera as a WiFi hub, DID NOT WORK!

Once uploaded to Gopro.com, you can view the files on your device in the cloud inside the GoPro app>media tab (2nd tab from right on bottom for screen)>Cloud

You cannot edit the files in the cloud.  First you have to download the files in the cloud BACK TO the GoPro app, and that also takes a huge amount of time.

The cloud is simply a backup.  I'd like to know if the GoPro files can be copied from the camera and left on a GoPro backup folder on my PC? 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @toughlift06750. Yes, your GoPro media can be moved/saved on your PC. Instructions are detailed trough the following links: 

Feel free to post back fro any other concerns or questions that you may have. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the info mariustanya.  If In the future I needed to edit the GoPro media that I have stored in my PC, what steps would I need to perform in order to do that?

would it be:

1- copy gopro media stored on PC to a SD card

2- insert that SD card into my camera 

3- Add the new media via the GoPro app?

4- Edit new media in the GoPro App

Basically, I'm presuming there is not another way to get the files to the GoPro App other than through the camera?

TIA. 

Highlighted
GoPro

You are correct, @toughlift06750. Only when the files are back to the SD card and the camera that they will be recognized by the GoPro App. When you copy the files from the camera/SD card to your computer, be sure to copy the .THM and .LRV files too. You will need to copy them back to the SD card for the MP4 files to be detected by the GoPro App. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Oh man - you have to download them back to the app from the cloud in order to edit? Sheesh?!?!