Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: GoPro Session - Freezing/Heating up/Not recording

[ New ]

Thanks Matt

I was unable to borrow a card, and so did purchase one of your recommended list the SanDIsk 64GB Extreme. I have tested it several times at home and it seems to work apart from one occasion. But the fact that there was at least one glitch once does not fill me with confidence - I don't want it letting me down again on expedition. The trouble is I only have one or 2 dive expeditions a year so unlikely to be tested in anger again for a while.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @agilewater, 

Thanks for letting us know. I can definitely understand why you might be a little worried if the camera had a problem once with the new card too. I would suggest heavily testing the camera out with the Extreme card. Try filming, try taking photos and burst sequences and long time-lapses in different settings. Do these things multiple times and see if the camera acts reliably. 

If it does not, I would suggest getting into contact with the Support Team and letting them know what is going on with the camera. You said your camera was given to you about a year ago, so it might not be under warranty, but the team looks at cases individually and would do what they can to help. What I really don't want to happen is have the camera seem like it's working okay and you not find a problem with it until another once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, which is why I'm suggesting testing it out now. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thought I should provide the community with an update. As recommended, I contacted support and ran through their checks. Howver same faults occurred both with the SanDisk Extreme 64GB (a recommended card) and without any card so clearly a faulty unit. I am very pleased that GoPro did the honorable thing and replaced the unit even though it was just over a year old, since (as I previously explained ) it  had only been used on 2 dive trips.

The replacement seems fine in all respects and I look forward to putting it through its paces on my next dive trip although unfortunately that will now be a while.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Bought my GoproSession july 2015. Took it for summer vacation in july - had all the problems described in above posts.

Freeze, heating, stopping - VERY frustrating.

back home - upgrated to a new firmware in september - purchased new SD - and took it for vvacation in october.

Same problems again....

Went to shop - they analysed - and gave me a new SD card.

Vacation in February again - skiing - with lotsof new addons - mounting etc.

Same problem. Camera stopped working when in field after few minutes.....

Had the whole camera in for repair for 4 weeks - and shop ended up giving me a brand new Kamera - that was good service.

But - Same problem - Freeze, heating and unstable. This thing just seems to be no good.

I have now returned it to shop. Amazing a company like GoPro can manage to make such an unstable thing.

Can see in this forum many users have issues - and solutions linked to the SD card..... - I suggest you tell your resellers - and I suggest you make some firmware that can warn the user that he is in for troubledue to the SD card.......

The price on the product is dropped dramatically in the last couple of months - but when it doesnt work - it is still a big waste.

May be the other Gopro products are good. The Hero Session was nothing but trouble for me - and I'm annoyed I tried using it for so long. Dissapointing GoPro has not released firmware or fixed the problems for users..

Thanks for listening.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Quote: "Try filming, try taking photos and burst sequences and long time-lapses in different settings. Do these things multiple times and see if the camera acts reliably. "

I'm expecting Gopro development and QA to do this - so when I make my purchase I get something reliable that does what specs sais.

I took my Session camera from the shop with a newly purchased SD card with it. Maybe shop made a mistake and sold me the wrong card - but GoPro makes a Camera that then goes into orbit, heats up and stall. I just dont understand how you can manage to do this.

I have had digital cameras from several different vendors over the past 20 years. NEVER have I experienced one delivering a product failing like this. I see notice some of the older GoPro cameras has the same fault (according to posts in Forum).

Something "wrong" on the SD card that consumer puts into camera - makes it Freeze/Hault/Heatup and just mess up everything.

GoPro - this is not ok - rebrand to NoGo-Pro !

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey @Anonymous, 

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your feedback regarding the HERO4 Session. 

As a company, our goal is always to produce a product that our customers will love and can rely on. Our apologies this hasn't been a part of your experience. We, at GoPro, take pride in our products and customers' experience.

With the details you've already described, I feel reaching out to our Customer Support would benefit you and your experience. They'll do their best to ensure you have a properly working camera in your hands. 

Please let us know if you have any other concerns. 

Lorraine 

Community Hub Moderator

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have a brand new Session GoPro with new Sandisk 64Gb Ultra class 10 micro sd card.

I took it out for a drive (motorcycle helmet mounted) and on first use it stopped recording several times.

Once after a minute. Another time after 7 minutes. 

Dissapointed does not even come close. I expected better. I bought the GoPro because I wanted fuss free reliable good quality video.

I have had a browse through the comments here and decided to check the setting.

Protune was off so this was not the issue. 

I did however have it set to PAL and 1080superview

I changed two settings. 

I changed it from 1080Super wide on PAL at 48 frames a second to 1080, NTSC, 60 frames a second. 

I then did a test and it was able to record for 38 minutes (sitting in a table) without a problem. 

Lets hope this solves the problem as I really don't want to have to send it back.

I have not gone as yet out for another drive on the motorcycle so I cannot rule out vibration.

I will check again in a day or two and follow up.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to hear that you had that difficulty with the camera. The camera should be able to film properly on any of its formats, resolutions, or frame rates. As you mentioned you read the comments on the thread, I think you'll see that this can happen in some cases when the SD card is not functioning properly with the camera. As you'll see in previous posts here, there is a list of recommended SD cards that have been tested and seen to work best with the camera. 

I think that using one of those will probably be your best bet to get the performance you're looking for out of the camera. 

Let us know if you run into any other issues. 

All the best, 

Matt B. 
GoPro Support Hub Moderator