Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: GoPro Session - Freezing/Heating up/Not recording

[ New ]
Try reformatting the card first and then recording.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Mattb,

Thanks for your reply and your consern.

My latest purchase of Session camera was a bundle on the Gopro Webshop - it included the SD Card from you.

It also came with the Firmware 2.0 factory installed.

I read posts about reinstalling firmware from SD card has helped other users. I just cannot beleve this to be any solution.

The issue is in my view related to the SD card.

I have used digital cameras for many years from many suppliers. This is the FIRST TIME ever I have come across a manufacturer where an issue with the SD card makes the camera go into orbit like this. If your Gopro has special requrements for SD cards - I suggest you implement some testing/verification - or at least program some proper error-handling into your firmware.

Taking your "action camera" into field - and then experience problems like this with total hang and no more filming for the rest of the trip is terrible.

This saturday - I was out on a trip with the kids - and we did take several shots without problems.

It is hard to trust your gear however - and I think there is room for improvements in your product development.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for replying back. I'm sorry to hear if the camera hasn't responded consistently for you. If you bought the camera and the SD card from our web store, then that should be a compatible SD card. Reformatting a card can help, and the reason I suggested a manual update is because that can improve the camera's functions if there is any error occurring in its programming. 

I would try playing around with the camera some more, taking multiple shots, longer videos, whatever you can do to work the camera. That should be a good test to see if the camera will work consistently or not, and if errors continue to occur then we can look further at what the problem may be. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
My session, which I've been using since Feb '16, is having the same issue - won't turn off after recording & gets too hot to hold. It happens often enough to become annoying. To turn off the camera I have to hold down the power button.
I've briefly read through this thread & get the impression that the card is to blame. I'm using 'SanDisk Ultra 64GB XC I'. I use this card in my Xperia phone & Sony camera with no issues, & for the leading brand of action cameras, I expect GoPro cameras to be compatible with all leading brands of memory cards. My camera works with the SD cards most of the time, I find it odd that the camera fails to finish recording now & then.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hey @Anonymous,

I definitely understand how this can be frustrating and I regret any inconvenience. Unfortunately, while SanDisk is a very reputable brand, the Ultra is not as capable of a card as the Extreme or Pixtor. It's not in every single case that an Ultra won't work, and cards, even of the same make and model, don't always perform in exactly the same way, but we have tested the Extreme and the other cards on the list and found them to work much better with the camera. 

Again, I do regret that inconvenience and hope you will be able to get a recommended card to get the most out of your camera!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

I have the same problems of freezing and heating up, without saving medias. I'm using the same sd card SanDisk Ultra 64Gb you were using too. How did you manage to solve the problem?

Do you think that I should buy a SanDisk Extreme or the problem lies somewhere else?

thank you!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi michelez70885,
I went with what Mattb suggested & bought a recommended stick:

SanDisk Extreme PLUS UHS-I 32GB (SDSQXSG-032G-ANCMA)

I've used my session a fair amount with this new stick & haven't had the freezing issue. The difference in read/write speeds between the Ultra & Extreme is massive, & I assume this might be the cause of the problem.

Thanks for your response Mattb.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Recommend cards:
https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Before buying the Extreme card I tried fully formatting the Ultra card, which made no difference.