Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Session - Freezing/Heating up/Not recording

@Anonymous @Anonymous

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that using a recommended SD card resolved the issue for you so that you can use your camera. I'm sorry about any confusion with what you see written on the box of the camera. It is true that a Class 10/UHS 1 Card is necessary to use the camera, but not ALL cards of this class work effectively with the camera. We consistently test out SD cards to verify their performance, and as you can see in the list of those we have officially approved there are quite a few models. More cards may be added to this list as we continue to test out different models with our various cameras.

It's not always necessary to use a card from the recommended list, but most users have better use out of the camera when they do. 

All the best, 

Matt B. 
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Highlighted
Anonymous

If not all class 10 cards work with our camera, we shoud be warned WHEN buying the camera that only the recomended cards work. At least, written in the camera box. My Sony card will go straight to the thrash bin.. Will Go pro refund the money wasted?

Highlighted
GoPro

@Anonymous, 

We appreciate your feedback and certainly regret any inconvenience. The list of recommended cards can change as we continue to test against our various camera models. These are the cards that we have officially tested, but it is not always the case that a non-recommended card won't work in the camera. 

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience and hope that you will be able to use your camera either with the card that you have currently or with one recommended by GoPro. 

Matt B. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi,

I've had my gopro for about two months and am just encountering overheating and random button responses as well as wifi issues with both my remote AND the app. I'm noticing a trend in the posts with the sandisk ultra class 10 32gb micro SD and no surprise hat is what I am using. I'll go to the shop tomorrow for a replacement and hope it works!

Highlighted
GoPro

@Anonymous, 

I'm glad you'll try out a different SD card in the camera, and please let us know how that goes. Normally problems originating from the SD card aren't so much Wi-Fi connection issues or random responses from the camera. More typically it's that the recording stops midway or the camera freezes up, but it's still worth a try. 

Just to get a clearer picture, are you also using a Session camera? 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi Matt,

Yes I have a session. I tried the new card this morning (Samsung pro+) and it seems to have cleared a lot of the issues up, but the camera still got quite warm. Is this normal? I'll try and record some more over the coming week and monitor it. All my other recording has been in the water so I hadn't noticed any heat issues.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Just back from a two week dive trip to Raja Ampat in Indonesia - a once in a lifetime trip. My Hero4 Silver which was a gift a year ago but has only been used for diving and therefore a couple of trips only. On its first trip out to the Philippines last year it had a couple of small temporary blips of this nature. This trip, the first few days were fine, but by half way through the trip it was getting tempramental and increasingly locking up, getting a blank display screen, running hot and the mode/power and other switches ceasing to operate and refusing to reset and finally the last couple of days not working at all. Very annoying and completely unacceptable. The SD card is a SanDisk Ultra 64GB so reasonably high quality and I am sure was the recommended card at the time of purchase. Following MattBs sugestion I will now invest in a new card, but if that is no go, i'll be moving away from GoPro. Nothing should be this sensitive or tempramental. As it stands id hesitate to recommend the product.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience on your latest dive trip. I agree that the way your camera was functioning is not acceptable, and I assure you this is not expected or normal behavior. I understand it seemed like just a temporary issue when you were back in the Philippines, but in cases like this, our Support Team or the Support Hub Community always wants to hear about it. It's no good to be trying to coax a product into working when it should work without a problem, and there's a standard year-long warranty that can replace a camera that's not operating as it should. Unfortunately, when an issue isn't immediately addressed, this can lead to a camera being very seldom used until an important event or experience, and if a problem emerges then, as you saw, it can be hugely frustrating. 

Though the SanDisk Ultra isn't a card we've approved per our testing, I've definitely talked with users who could use an Ultra card without a problem. As such, I'd recommend saving some cash and borrowing a recommended card to test out the camera with rather than buying one. I would also recommend (re)updating your camera's firmware to see if that helps. If those steps don't work for you, it'd be best to give a call or email to our Support Team. If you're out of the warranty, they won't necessarily be able to replace the camera, but I'm sure they will do what they can to help. 

All the best, 

Matt B.