Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: GoPro Session - Freezing/Heating up/Not recording

Hi! I also have a brand new Hero Session, bought mostly for recording mtb runs. Loved the small package, waterproofing and (read about online) the ability to run powered by an external battery. I have a class 10 Kingston 64GB card. As for external battery I have a 6000mAh one, with output 5V/2A - Smart Charge Technology. I need to record my 3-4h MTB runs so that I can afterwards sync and overlay gps data from my watch.

The problem is when connected to the external battery, the camera records for roughly 25-30 min and the it stops recording (and is very hot). When trying to restart recording, the main button does not respond. Workaround is to push the back button, cycle until exit, press the main button to shut down camera, afterward all ok, the main button starts working again.

Thought it might be a card problem, but I have the camera on (without any external batt) and it's been recording continously for 1h 20 min now, with no problems... not so hot also.

Shoud I try another external battery, or maybe it's still a card issue? Thanks..

Highlighted
Anonymous

Later edit for my previous message, about leaving the camera running without external battery:

Have checked the sd card, and for the entire 1h it recorded 2 clips (nobody touched the camera, why 2?). One called GOPR0047.mp4 (8:36PM starting time from the file on the card, 12:01 lenght, 12.26GB size) and one GP020047.mp4 (approximately the same name, 9:05PM starting time from the file, 16:58 lenght, same 12.26GB size). The latter recording I guess stopped on it's own, I remember that after 1h I walked in the room and seen the leds blinking on the camera, so I pushed the main button to stop it. But the file recorded stops before this happened...

Highlighted
Anonymous

I have  a new Samsung Evo 64Gb micro SD and the same problem occurred. I thougth I was buying a fast card but PC Magazine rates it as one of the slower class 10 cards. Not sure if this is the problem but very frustrating that I just got the camera and trying to use it for the first time on my vacation here in Greece. Walking up to the Acropolis on day 1 and the camera was frozen all day until the battery finally depleted.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi all,
I wanted to send a follow up on my experiences with my GoPro Session. After a few months of problems with the go pro session freezing (even though I was using the highest spec SD card see my previous posts) I finally decided to contact go pro support. They were very efficient and offered me a replacement. I have only used the new camera for a couple of weeks however it has not failed as yet even though I am using the exact same SD card I had been previously. With the old camera this would fail randomly and frequently. I am hoping my problem is solved. This camera does not appear to get quite so hot when used so maybe this was connected to the problem in my case.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi all, had I read this thread beforehand I would have just bought a SanDisk Extreme instead of an Ultra. 

I have a Hero 4 Session running firmware 2.0 and can confirm that the Session freezes when my SD Ultra 32 GB card is about half full. Then it works unreliably. 

Bought 2 SanDisk Extreme 32 GB cards and so far both work without a problem at 1080@60fps. Still testing but I've filled both cards twice and no freezing. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I have a Hero 4 Black
Less than 3 months old
Started freezing up
I contacted Go Pro support
They said try update, I did, no good
Then try new SD card, I did no good
Then try manual update, I did, still no good
So now camera is useless
I read on the net hundreds of owners have similar problems
Meanwhile Go Pro continue releasing new models which are still problematic
Absolutely not good enough
I'm buying a Sony
Csn't beat Japanese quality
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi!  I just received my GoPro last night for Christmas, and it has already frozen up once and now is so hot and will not power on.  I am using the SD card that came with the Hero 5 Session bundle.  I would assume that the card that your company sent with the bundle is of the proper quality.  Any suggesion on what needs to be done to correct freezing and heating?

Highlighted
Explorer

Try formatting the SD card in your computer and then download the manual update. After the update is complete, connect to your mobile device with the capture app. Scroll to the bottom of settings and tap date/time. Then select the delete all/format option. Take a couple of photos and then try filming. Hopefully this will fix your issue. I know GoPro sells the SanDisk but there seems to be a lot of issues with their cards.