Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: GoPro Session - Freezing/Heating up/Not recording

[ New ]

After being a happy Hero 3+ user for a few years I decided to purchase the Session as an additional camera for a cycling trip across the Himalayas in Northern India - July 2016.  The freezing issues cost me lots of potential great footage during the trip, as the camera simply couldn't be relied upon and often failed when I needed it most. I can only describe it as a tempremental little brat! If something as important as the SD card can cause the camera to malfunction and become unusable (and untouchable) for long periods of time, then it would make sense for GoPro to provide the appropriate SD card with the Hero 4 range. Perhaps it is a bigger issue, but the SD card is providing a worthy scapegoat. Very disappointed with the Session and would take it back for a refund if I lived in the same country in which I purchased it. 

Spoiler

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi all

Having the same issues as everyone else. I have a Hero 3+ Black. first time i used this i powered this camera without a SD Card. It froze straight away at the no sd screen. I did all the recommended steps like different sd and firmware. but seeing it had no sd makes it all point to the camera.

i even made a video showing everything i did and what sd cards i am using. 

https://youtu.be/hqAjTZcYAMs

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Hello quickdive8825,
Check to see if the SD card you're using is recommended by GoPro. I bought one off their list after having the same problem. After a few months with the new card, it's been fine.
The video files are big so I imagine that's why the card need high read/write speeds.
Anonymous

[ New ]

i have another go pro and it will use both me sd cards fine. this camer hates both of them plus hates it when there is no sd card. so sd isnt the issue here its the camera

Anonymous

[ New ]

Having had freezing problems with my Session, I changed to a recommended card thanks to this thread.

I bought "Lexar Professional microSDXC 633x 64GB UHS-I Flash Memory Card with USB 3.0 Adapter" from Amazon with a claimed part code of LSDMI64GBB1EU633R, which was as close as I could get to the part number quoted by GoPro.

The Session is now working perfectly after hours of alpine mountain biking, so I can recommend this card.

There is very clearly a hardware or software bug in the Session, presumably hardware or they would have fixed it through an update.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I commented few months ago that physically updating the firmware works. Well, yes it worked for a while until yesterday I took the kids to the zoo, oh my... my Session was plagued with problems! Won't record, froze, or does something weird. It was very frustrating and disappointing. Until when I filmed under the shade of trees, it seems to do better. For some reason I think it has to do something with heat.

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ New ]
Freezing while filming an incredible scene... Something I hated a lot about my Hero 4 Session.
I was thinking about something related to heat, but the camera was freezing during ski sessions too... The overheating is just a consequence.
I bought one of the suggested sd cards: you should buy one with exactly the same name and code, or, in order to make the perfect choice, buy one from the GoPro website, as I did, where cards are suggested basing on your camera model (they are less expensive then the ones sold in some supermarkets).
I solved the problem: no more freezing, even at high frame rate!
Sightseer

[ New ]

I've had similar issues, but am using one of the suggested SD cards.  After reformatting it, it seems to help for a little bit: only freezes once every ~10 videos or pictures...and then slowly increases in freeze frequency.  Eventually it'll freeze up after shooting just 1 video or picture.  The 10-second hold/reset temporarily solves the problem, but I would like not to lean on that as a solution.  Many times I've gone to record some action, and it won't turn on....so I have to wait through a 10 second reset to get the camera to turn on.  I am using a Lexar High Performance MicroSDXC 64 GB (LSDMI64GBBNL633R) that was bought through Amazon.