Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Player for Windows available

Hi

can you please share more Information, when GoPro Player for Windows is available. Is my understanding right, that i would need this piece of software or is there another way without apple device? Thanks Hans

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro Player for Windows available

You can use the GoPro App to reframe your shots, that works in both Android and IOS mobile devices.

You can join this group and notifications for the Beta windows software will be announced. You've missed out on the first round of beta testing, but scroll through the page until you find the sign up sheet and you may be eligible for the 2nd round of beta testing.

Highlighted
Nomad

Regarding the workflow to my opinion and current knowledge:

- For Iphone and most modern Android phones there are available apps. These can be used eg for reframing etc and what I have seen from eg 360 youtube channels, that these are working quit nice but you need to have a modern Iphone or Android phone

- For Desktop Mac users there is also a downloadable software which seems to work quit nice including reframing

- For Windows desktop users, there is only the exporter software but no reframing software yet from GoPro. 

So for Windows users and who like to reframe etc, they can select from the following alternatives (currently):

1. Use Adobe CC (monthly payment required)

2. Use the Insta360 studio 2019 software (free of charge)

3. Use the Magix video software (one time off purchase not so expensive)

4. Use the Davinci Resolve software (also free of charge)

From the above list, I have tried number 2, 3 and 4 and they all work. However comparing the rendered footage, and ease of use, I prefer to use the Magix video software. This is easier then Davinci and better quality (unless you purchase the paid version of Davinci). 

With the Magix video software, you can fully reframe and also create so called tiny planets.

So please feel free to share your current way of working so that other forum visitors and GoPro Max users can learn from each other

Highlighted
Nomad

@wiljan5560 

Thanks for the tip about the insta360 studio for windows, this app does it all, this is awsome, you can do everything you want. The only thing is that it cannot use files directly from the max and also not the cineform file. So you lose a bit of image quality.

If the insta360one R is that good as there software, I better bought that one :-) ( I can still return the MAX or should I keep it ?)

Used the davinci resolve with plugin, but that is not that good, it gives you 2 black dots on top and bottom of the video. Also not so handy and good as the insta 360 studio.

So for me for all windows user just download the insta 360studio, that does it all!

thanks a lot dude for this info

Highlighted
Nomad

I believe that the two black dots issue in DaVinci resolve is caused by using an unsupported resolution for 360 footage, DaVinci also only supports 4K.  So render your 360 footage in 4K and the black dots should go away.

GoPro software is currently being developed for reframing within Windows.  It will likely be a few months but it could be worth waiting for, after all, GoPro knows what the competition is offering and will know that they need to beat it.

Highlighted
Nomad

It can be about davinci resolve but for now the best and easiest way that I have tested for windows user is the insta 360 studio. Hope they will not wait to long anymore before they release there software. If you check the insta 360 software page it cannot be that hard 😃
Highlighted
Nomad

Great that I have been helpful.

Note however that the Insta360 One R camera is not really better then the Max. There are also some issues with the image quality, the stabilization, the red dot etc. 

So overall the GoPro Max is the better camera overall.

The black dots in the Davinci software can be solved easily with a setting, and I can explain that also if you like. 

However.....the problem with Davinci is the limitation of the project and therefore the quality after rendering is not that great. Unless you would purchase the software then you have larger project offerings. 

To me the software is still very complicated and if you want to create 360 movies, or reframed movies with also combining photos in your end result, then I would highly recommend to use the Magix video software.

Regarding the lose of quality....this is something you will not notice. Reason is that after rendering your end result will not be larger then 1920x1080. That's also the case with the App, or with Adobe etc. Only in future when maybe 360 camera's will go up to 8K, you will be able to render to a higher result. However most today's laptop and desktops are not equipped to create video montages in 8K.

Note that I have create GoPro Max footage which I show to my family on a 65 inch TV. And the footage looks very impressive

Highlighted
Nomad

@wiljan5560
I use grassvaley edius for editing. Because it has no 360 plugin, so no rframing possible there. I was thinking to use the insta360 studio to reframe and render the 360 footage. Then export it and use this export in my edius project. This way of xorking seems to give me good image quality. The only minor is that insta360 studio can only use the converted hvec or h.264 footage and not the original max footage or coverted cineform file.
Davinci resolve is indeed not the best choice and that I will not use.
Using magix video would be an option but then I must start from scratch learning this program.
If I decide to use the magix video, which should I buy best? The magix video deluxe premium or should I get pro?
Thanks for your big help on this