Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro PATHETIC

[ New ]
I placed a pre order for the hero 8 on October 3. Order # MP-03910740 . It was an unusual circumstance as I was shipping it to a friend in another country for him to bring to me. Where I am you can not buy these products easily. Since the billing and shipping address where different I took the precaution of calling GoPro and they said not to worry. I even called my bank so that the charge would not be flagged for fraud. Ten days later I was browsing the GP forums and saw that people that placed their order after me had received their camera. So I checked my credit card and the charge that was there was now gone. So I call GP and spend over an hour on the phone with them just to find out that they have NO way of taking an order over the phone or solving a very simple issue. For a multi billion dollar company this is pathetic at best. My friend was waiting for this camera to then fly it back to me. Now I have no camera and no solutions from GP. They offered me a twenty five percent off coupon for my troubles and they couldn’t even email that because of “problems “ with the system. Again PATHETIC!!! I find it hard to believe that a company does not have a system for special cases. Every company I have ever dealt with does. Seems commonplace.

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: GoPro PATHETIC

[ New ]
I completely understand why GoPro does it. I think all of you are missing the point. Companies that I dealt with in the past large and small have a system to place an order manually by a manager or higher up. GoPro does not.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

While it sucks that you were told by support that it wouldn't be an issue, the situation you describe (different ship to/bill to and what sounds like a country/location with problems) sounds like one that would cause errors with lots of e-commerce sites where the process is automated.  A company as big as GoPro isn't going to have live people processing orders, so they've got to have some basic systems in place to protect both you and them from fraud.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Probably because of fraud? Maybe tarriffs?  When you ship to different countries with different names, it gets sketchy. Where are you and where is it going?

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Why not loan him the money and then have him order it under his name?  

Tourist

[ New ]
I completely understand why GoPro does it. I think all of you are missing the point. Companies that I dealt with in the past large and small have a system to place an order manually by a manager or higher up. GoPro does not.
Hiker

[ New ]

And that makes them "pathetic?"  A little bit of an overreaction dont you think?

Nomad

[ New ]

Sorry, previous reply was for different post.

Try initiating a chat session with GoPro, make sure that you've selected "Sales support" from the drop down menu.  Technical support cannot take orders or credit card information (they are not allowed and don't have the systems).

It's possible that they may not be able to ship your order to a different country as this could indicate a circumvention of tax laws, however if you were buying this as a present for someone, that would be a different and legal tax matter.

Tourist

[ New ]

No, we understand. There are tons of variables- such as taxes/tarrifs, fraud, payment method not allowing it especially at a high cost, etc.  Many shippers would require the payee to be the recipeint.  Again, I'm curious as to which country you are from where this is an issue.

@tomh35632 wrote:

Tourist

[ New ]

Also, it can be a form of laundering if it truly isn't allowed in your country. Or, in the past, companies had to make sure on their part that certain equipment could not get into the hands of citizens or within the boundaries of certain countries.  There are always restrictions on what you can send a service member (booze for one...) Military perhaps?  

Try a different vendor?