Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro Max, why jittery, choppy playback?

Hi, still learning about all the settings on my GoPro Max. Just shot a video of me walking slowly and there are chunky/jittery places in the resultant video, especially when the camera changes angles. Would love any ideas about how to fix it/confirmation of my suspicions about why:

•  video was on a bright sunny day
  •  defaults for ISO, shutter spead, etc. were used
  •  recorded at 5.6k (25fps)
  •  exported using GoPro Exporter to Cineform 5.6k
    • worldlock disabled
    • horizon levelling enabled
  • minimal editing with Davinci Resolve Studio
  •  exported at 5.6k 10-bit Cineform
  •  spherical meta-data injected using Google tool
  •  uploaded to YouTube https://youtu.be/BK5wfV43DjQ

You can see the frames are mostly fine but sometimes really getting chunky, especially when I turn the camera. Start at 4m35s for example and check out when I turn the corner about 4m41s. This looks like a software stablisation glitch to me.

Any good way to avoid this? It looks like it's some sort of EIS problem trying to lock frames during motion and messing up. But I thought the GoPro IES was off in 360 video?

• Is the problem horizon lock?
  • Should I turn on world lock and manually turn the camera in Davinci? (ok for a video like this with only 3 turns, but kinda annoying for more a video with more angles)
  • Even though it's a bright sunny day, I feel like I should fix my shutter speed at a faster rate? At least twice the output fps? The stutters make me think something is out of whack, especially when some sort of stabilisation algo is involved and frames are getting dropped.

Thanks for any insight!

Got the confinement blues? Take a sunny promenade with me in the deserted streets of Paris. 10mins of relaxing exploration on a warm COVID day. Turn up the r...
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro Max, why jittery, choppy playback?

@danielr15  should be able to help me thinks, he's got good knowledge of all things Max.

To me the video looks great when you pick certain frames and just freeze it, very sharp, very clear.  However I think there's a slight stitching issue possibly, especially where there are a lot of tree's near and in the distance, I'm not sure the stitching is pickup up the difference between near and far shades of the same green.  So once in a while when walking down the long avenue of tree's, I saw some blocking.

YouTube is also going to add it's own compression to your footage and who knows, with use increasing, maybe the compression is being a little more aggressive these days.

There is a new Firmware release for the GoPro Max.  It was supposed to be released on the 15th of this month but it's currently delayed.  So keep an eye out for that, I suspect there will be stitching updates in it due to the amount of video I've seen that have had many artifacts visible.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro Max, why jittery, choppy playback?

Reduce the YouTube playback resolution (gear icon, lower right).   When I lowered it to 720, it played smoothly.

Highlighted
Hiker

Rif.: GoPro Max, why jittery, choppy playback?

@emilielegs  ha scritto:

You can see the frames are mostly fine but sometimes really getting chunky, especially when I turn the camera. Start at 4m35s for example and check out when I turn the corner about 4m41s. This looks like a software stablisation glitch to me.

Do you also see these defects that you indicate in your copy of the video on your hard disk? I ask you this because on Youtube it is easy to have framerate and refresh video problems (especially with video at this high resolution). Instead if you confirm that you see the same defects in your original copy, then in this case it is not YouTube's fault.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the responses. I don't see the jitters on the footage on the hard-disk: although the framerate does seem chunky and lower than a real 25fps. Ie. if I step through frame-by-frame on the exported footage it looks like there are big jumps between frames (too fast for 25fps of me slowly turning). On playback this is like: new frame - hold, new frame - hold, new frame - hold. Then this chunking seems to confuse the youtube converters even more who then add extra jitter.

The jitter is way worse when using a VR headset. Just looking using a phone/computer isn't as bad. I wonder if that weird chunking is getting interlaced somehow causing the back-and-forth jitter effect on YouTube's headset encode.

I started shooting at 25fps instead of 30fps since otherwise in Europe I sometimes get flickering lights - maybe those extra 5fps make a difference with the alogrithms? (Though everything in my setup is set to 25fps).

I will try forcing a higher shutter speed and see if I can get rid of those chunks. It looks like YouTube is taking a chunky situation and making it jittery (ie worse). However, something wonky is going on either in the actual recording or the export that is making those frame jumps. If it's this bad with a slow rotation, I'd hate to see it if I was moving quickly.

Highlighted
Hiker

@emilielegs If you say that the version on Hard disk also has jerky movements (i.e. it seems lower than the framerate compared to 25 fps), could it be some wrong setting in Davinci resolve?

You wrote that you use Davinci resolve to edit your video, but you must pay attention to the resolution of the timeline that you set. If you edit a 5.7K file (i.e. 5760 * 2880) you must set the timeline resolution to that resolution. Warning: the free version of Resolve does not allow you to go up to that resolution, but is limited to 4K (in 16:9 format not 2:1 as a 360 video is recorded).

Maybe if you save your original movie on Google Drive and then share the link, we can see it without the limitations of Youtube and understand the defect you are talking about.

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm using the paid studio version of davinci and the timeline settings are correct. However, I was referring to the exported mov file from the Gopro Exporter (ie. before davinci).

There are two issues it seems, some sort of recording/go pro Exporter error not truly getting 25fps, and then YouTube doing something funky for the VR viewer mode with that chunky footage making it jitter. I'm skeptical of auto settings so wonder if fixing shutter speed at a higher setting will help. I also wouldn't be surprised if some internal gopro algorithms assume 30fps and are therefore dropping frames.

I will try the Google drive idea when I get some new footage to test with!
Highlighted
Hiker

@emilielegs Have you tried exporting from GoPro Exporter in MP4 format instead of CineForm? Maybe something changes.

Then I would say that maybe you can check the actual FPS of your movie using "mediainfo".