Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Max malfunction

[ New ]

As of last week, my Gopro Max seems to be dead... It started with the mode button not powering up the camera. At first i thought the battery was empty, but 20 minutes later i found it recording in my backpack... The camera then tuned of fine and i was able to turn it back on again and record some video's 

That evening i was unable to power up the camera again, so i decided to charge it for a while. The charging LED wasn't powering on, so i removed the battery/SD-Card en performed every step mentioned on the GoPro site in case of a non-responsive GoPro. But still no charging LED...

Deperately i checked if the app synced the last video's, when i noticed that the GoPro was "found" in the app. With the screen black and still no LED, i was able to see the image preview in the app and turn off the GoPro remotely. This "woke up" the screen and charging LED and the camera was functional again. 

At this moment (started the next day) the camera wont power-up again. With the above in mind i am able to "digitaly see' the camera in the app by: 

1. Connect the carger

2. Press mode button for 10 seconds

3. Press mode button once (still no image on screen, no LED's and no sounds)

4. Start the GoPro app and control the GoPro. 

5. The preview image can be viewed, but the app tells me that the SD-card is not formated correctly so no media can be viewed. When viewed in windows, the SD-card can be browsed and all video's seems to be accessable. 

Powering down the GoPro via the app does break the connection, but does not turn on the LCD screen and charging LED like it did the first time.

Hope someone with GoPro is able to help me with the problem as support seems to be unreacable for the last couple of days. 

Thanks! 

GoPro

Re: GoPro Max malfunction

[ New ]

Hi @luapski

What SD card are you using?

Please try re-flashing the software.

See https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max

Please make sure to save any important files before proceeding.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, 

Thanks for the reply,

iam using a SanDisk Extreme 256GB microSD (U3 A2 160MB/s) memory card. 

I will try reflasing the software, but iam not sure if i wil be able to see if the camera is performing the update. 

Will let you know the result.

Best regards, 

Paul

Tourist

[ New ]

So: i've backup the SD card in windows, and formated it afterwards (exFAT). 

Unzipped the UPDATE folder onto the SD card and tried the update on the camera. But since the camera shows no image/LED/or sound whatsoever when powered on (mode button pressed) there is no way of telling the update is beeing performed/is succesful. 

Please advice, 

Thanks for the feedback, 

Best regards, 

Tourist

[ New ]

Just a final update on the things i tried: 

- Checked the SD card after the camera booted with update folder present: Update folder still on the SD card so no update executed. 

- Fully formated the SD card (1 hour+) and retried. 

- Camera is still accesable via the app when resetted by : holding mode for 10 seconds, wait and then press mode once. 

There is no still nothing on the display, no charging LED and no beeps during startup... I did manage to get the 3 tone 'off signal' once by shutting down the camera via the app, but this yielded no progress whatsoever. 

One extra issue... the camera doenst seem to recognise the battery also... i'm able to "power on" the camera as descibed above, but as soon as the camera is disconnected from the power, the connection with the app is lost. 

Something is really messed up with the software/hardware at the moment... 

Thanks for the feedback

p.s would starting an official ticket towards camera replacement (GoPro PLUS user) be an option? What would be the current deliverytime of the replacement camera? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for trying the troubleshooting steps suggested.

The best path forward is to reach out to our Support Team.

You may submit a request for a callback through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, or initiate a chat session with one of our representatives.

Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual. We appreciate your understanding.
When reaching out to the team, try initiating a chat session then change the region(upper right-hand side) to US-English.
Make sure to enter the details manually to avoid captcha errors.

Thanks!

Ej