Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Max Video & Photo Resolution

Guys,

i love the front screen of the new GoProMax.

While reading throught the specs of the now GoPro Hero 8 Black and the GoPro Max I am asking myself, why the supported Video and Photo mode are so low when using the GoPro Max in Hero Mode. 

My Iphone is capable of shooting 7 mp photos with its facecam.

Recorded videos in Hero Mode are limited to 1440p max. 

So there is no way i can take videos in 4K with the GoPro Max? Or differently asked: Is there an option to use an more narrow ankle shooting 360° photos and videos? E.g. 270° oder 170° in 16 mp resp. 4K?

I cannot make out an advantage the Max offers compared to the Hero 8 besides 360° ankle recordings. Perhaps someone can tell me why the Gopro Max is eye level with the Hero 8 Black. Technically spoken.

Thanks in advance!

Karsten

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro Max Video & Photo Resolution

Your iPhone can capture high quality footage because it's using the whole sensor to cover just a very small area.  Whereas the GoPro Max has to use it's sensor to cover a field of about 190 degree's.  There is no way to change or increase the resolution of what the max can capture due to the fact it's using a fix focused curved lens that is not swappable. When being used in Hero mode the camera is still capturing that 190 degree image and then cropping the image to look like a more regular (traditional) GoPro image but this also means that it's a lower resolution.  

Still, 1080P looks pretty good on most monitors, phones and tablets (where most people watch online streaming video's).  It's really just a case of knowing what your viewers want and using the right camera for the job.  This is why I own different models of GoPro's and tend to use the best combination of camera's suited to my shooting and displaying my productions online.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro Max Video & Photo Resolution

Your iPhone can capture high quality footage because it's using the whole sensor to cover just a very small area.  Whereas the GoPro Max has to use it's sensor to cover a field of about 190 degree's.  There is no way to change or increase the resolution of what the max can capture due to the fact it's using a fix focused curved lens that is not swappable. When being used in Hero mode the camera is still capturing that 190 degree image and then cropping the image to look like a more regular (traditional) GoPro image but this also means that it's a lower resolution.  

Still, 1080P looks pretty good on most monitors, phones and tablets (where most people watch online streaming video's).  It's really just a case of knowing what your viewers want and using the right camera for the job.  This is why I own different models of GoPro's and tend to use the best combination of camera's suited to my shooting and displaying my productions online.