Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

Hello Everyone. We just released a new version for the MAX firmware. Be sure to update your cameras and let us know how it goes. Details for the update are at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max .

Highlighted
Hiker

Page not found! :(

Capture d’écran, le 2020-01-29 à 19.07.39.png
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, I just experienced the video freezing on my Max, with only audio for the remainder of the recording. I have only used the camera a few times, with about a half dozen recordings prior to this issue. I first noticed this a couple of days ago, after updating to 1.35 (yes, I noticed there is now a 1.40 available, but I don't have it installed yet). 

I have a 55 second recording in the 360 5.6K/30 mode that I was monitoring with my phone app. I stopped it when it appeared the video had frozen and I thought at first it was the connection to the app. Started it up again and it ran about 45 sec before freezing again. I contined to record (thinking it was the app) and have the 'frozen frame' with background audio for the rest of the recording (about 3 minutes total). 

After looking up the issue and finding this thread, I decided to reformat the card. After doing so, I have recorded 4 additional videos (all same format as before) and they seem fine, so far. They are all under 4 minutes in length. Could the problem have something to do with errors on the card that are cleared on formatting? I will update the firmware and report further if I get the freeze again. 

I am using the same SanDisk Extreme 64Gb V30 card for all tests, have not swapped it out. I am also using the same battery, the one that came with the camera. Camera was initially at 70F and moved to mid 20s F. The wifi was 5ghz. My 1 minute video that first exhibited the problem is at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5ifr8zy1bs2p2z/GS010028.360?dl=0

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for sharing your observations, @janh654. Let us know how it goes as you test further. By the way, how do you record? Do you use QuikCapture

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @martind21. This link https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max works. I clicked on it and was directed to the update page. 

You can view the fixes and improvements through https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Software-Update-Release-Information/ta-p/394354

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Thank you for sharing your observations, @janh654. Let us know how it goes as you test further. By the way, how do you record? Do you use QuikCapture

Well, I am still familiarizing myself with the interface. GoPro is new to me. I am not really sure how to use QuikCapture, and don't think that I am using it. I turn on the camera and then either use the camera controls in the app or touch the top red button to start and stop the recording. Since those two problem videos, I have been also trying out the voice commands to stop the recording. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I've had the same issue with my Max, from day one in the office until yesterday at the beach. Very random, some videos are fine, other freeze at 14s with only the audio working. I've tested multiple recommended sd cards with no luck, reset the camera, formatted the cards, etc.

I've just updated to fw 1.4 in the hope it will fix the issue.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks @agileridge3308

Feel free to post back if something comes up.

Camera Freezes Up

Regards,

Ej