Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

RE: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem with my GoPro Max v1.35
I am using the SD card in the recommended item.

KakaoTalk_20191230_180329976.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: RE: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

Even recommended cards can have issues. One suggestion is to reformat the card. Note that doing this will erase any content already on the card. Even so, if you have another card that is on the list at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308, please try that card to see if the issues continue. If the GoPro works fine with another recommended card, then we can isolate the issue to the specific card and try to resolve that issue.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi Jeff,

For my case i did try multiple card which was recommended by gopro lexar and Sandisk both having the same issue even after manual update and reformating.

Might worth to escalate the issue internally with the tech team i am sure they might have plenty of R&D done on multiple card and have more access to log on the camera to understand whats going on.

Best regards,

Mounir

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Jeff,

It's 100% the cameras that are the issue.  The same cards work totally fine in every other piece of equipment.  The MAX is having issues with any card that you put into it if you record enough times.  I see the issue happening most often on long clips from what I've experienced.  The first clip that this happened to me on I could even see the screen on the back of the camera showing me a live preview past the :14 mark that the video freezes.  If the camera is this finicky it should really be asking for a faster card or recording lower bitrate files.

Highlighted
Tourist

Just here to add myself to the list of people who are having this freezing issue. :( For me it usually happens at around 17-18 minutes of recording. I'm also using the supplied SD card and the current firmware.

Highlighted
Tourist

I had this happened bultiple times prior to update 1.35 and after update some of them have been multiple minutes long another video was less than a minute. One of them was filming a disabled guy doing a solo paraglider flight with me launching him... Losing some pretty valuable footage due to this.

This camera is broken and needs to be fixed.

Highlighted
Tourist

Brand new camera, today was the first day out with it. When I paired it with my phone yesterday (the day it arrived) I upgraded it to 1.35. I'm using a supported card Samsung Evo Plus (UHS-1 U3) 256GB MB-MC256GA/AM. It was formatted when it was installed in the camera. The temperature was in the high 40's, with wind chill was a little cooler.

I have about 2 minutes and 30 seconds of awesome video and another 30 minutes of just sound as I was mountain biking today. 

I pulled the video files off the SD card then formatted it with the MAX and pulled the battery out and put it back in. There is another thread related to the HERO7 Black where peopoe are reporting the same thing... the battery pull thing seems to be some type of a temporary fix. 

Super disappointing to drop $500 on a camera that shoots for two and a half minutes, this needs to be a priority for GoPro to fix. 

Highlighted
Tourist

As a quick follow-up I just recorded about 10 minutes of super exciting video of me sitting at the desk and it worked fine. I wonder how long it will take for it to act up again? I'm guessing as soon as there is something I really want to capture.