Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

The freezes at my GoPro happen at kart videos with around 10 degrees device temperature. When it freezes it is already visible at the screen, which is also frozen in the last moment visible in the film later on. Once it happened just a few seconds after start of recording in a heated building.
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Freezing is often related to an issue with the SD card being used in the camera. Be sure that your SD card is on our list of cards at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308. If you have another card that is on the list, please try that one and see if the issues continue.

Highlighted
Hiker

I do use the Card that was sent by GoPro bundled with the camera. Do you sell incompatible cards bundled with the GoPro Max?
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

No, we don't. Sorry if you mentioned earlier which card you were using. I must have missed that post. 

Note that even compatible SD cards can have issues. One check to do is to reformat the card (note that this will remove any content already on the SD card), and if you have another SD card that's on our list at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308, please try that card and see if the issues continue.

If your issues continue though, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can help with additional troubleshooting with you.

Highlighted
Tourist

It’s really disappointing to see how many people are having this exact same issue. Thank you to everyone who has posted in here.

My camera was actually supplied to me by GoPro along with cards and batteries, so everything should have been up to spec. When I say that I mean that I was working with a person who is featured by gopro and who is given cameras directly to use. We have been working directly with GoPro and not having any success, which is why I posted here to see if the community had any better ideas that could help.

Our clips were shot in a temp of about 25C, so no cold camera issues with us. From reading all of these experiences it seems like the cameras are just unstable. Hopefully it’s firmware related and they will be fixed ASAP, but from analyzing my files I think that it’s a buffer issue where the camera can’t handle writing all of the data to one card and it fails. When the clip freezes the data rate is as high as it can get and there is a fair bit of movement in the objects that are in the clip. It seemed like a good tool to have but I’m going to have to go back to my vuze so that I can be sure I’ll have footage at the end of the day.
Highlighted
Tourist

I have been having the same issues with video freezing. I have taken multiple short videos which seem to work, but took one for 29 minutes and at about 1.5 min mark the audio continues but the frame remains frozen. Such a dissapointment as i was recording an important family moment. I am using a recommended memory card and am upgraded to the latest firmware. HELP! Otherwise this device is going to quickly become a very expensive paperweight, and the tech blogs are quickly going to be changing their positive tunes about the MAX.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi ,

i got the exact same issue with my gopro Max, after 42 minutes of recording then switch off switch on and start a new recording after 2 minutes the video froze the audio keep going but the video just froze.I am shooting in 360 5k 30 fps in most compatible format, Gps data is enable to.. I did Try multiple different SD card which are recommended by gopro but I always have the same pattern issue ( even after formatting the card) . Is their any quick fix for that as I am loosing a lot of action footage due to this issue.

Any one found a potential fixe is it a massive bug from gopro loosing action shot is terrible for us !! i really hope a fixe is available somehow.

PS: the support is not reachbale even for a gopro plus customer.

Mounir

Highlighted
Tourist

I am going to try to record using the front facing camera only since that seems to work better, though i have yet to record a long video with just the front facing camera, i feel like it may work better because there ia less data processing that needs to happen so it hopefully will not freeze. Will update if it works better, so at least the camera will be functional until they fix the 360 video freezing issue.