Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

@privatp56311 - v1.35 was released a week ago. You can download it at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max.

Highlighted
Hiker

Jeff, i looked this update-page up every time before my next kart race, missed this one. Do you have a complete list of release-notes for the intermediate versions since V1.30? The freezing problem is not mentioned in the release notes for V1.35.

Are there any plans to support higher framerates (with lower resolution) in recording 360 degrees? For sports filming 60 FPS is the way to go, which was supported by the GoPro Fusion at 3k resolution. There is also a thread for this topic, so we can stay on topic here.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Sorry, I don't have any information beyond the release notes on the page, and I can't confirm anything that might be in future updates.

If you still have freezing issues after this update, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can do additional troubleshooting with you.

Highlighted
Tourist

I am using one of the recommended SD cards for the GoPro MAX - SanDisk Extreme (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A2 128GB

The player is also updated to the latest v1.05.

I'm not sure why you are recommending manual updates. The updating process has nothing to do with the problem.  Again, at the time of recording the firmware on the camera was the latest (v1.30).    It was recorded prior to the v1.35 firmware being released.  Also there is no mention of a fix in the 1.35 release notes. So, as far as I am concerned the problem is not fixed and the camera cannot be trusted.

v1.35 PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

• Fixes horizon leveling bug that affected video stabilization.
  • Improves stitch quality in textured scenes captured above the camera.

I've had every gopro since the hero 3 and have had a few manageable issues - not turning off, need to take battery out etc.  Nothing like this where by all indications the Max is functioning correctly only to be disappointed with the broken footage. 

Is there any software that I might be able to analyse the video?  

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,

I got the Max for xmas. I played around with it while it was with the stock firmware it came with. I use a Samsung 128GB EVO Plus MicroSD XC-I  3

I played around with the Max the last few days everything worked perfectly.

Last night I updated to v1.35 and today I had this freezing issue on a 2GB file (4min37sec recording), the image freezes around 15sec in the clip and the sound still runs fine. I'm kind of disappointed because it would have been a sick video!!!

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for the update, it saved me from ruining the recording of another important event. So GoPro is on the move now, as this issuei is at least reported for 5 different devices here in the forums :(.GoPro officials reading here, what are your plans on this topic?

Highlighted
Tourist

In order to fix it, they need to reproduce the bug. Hopefully they'll find some information with this post.

I've noticed the GoPro Max records fine when it's at ambient temperature and I also noticed the GoPro Max struggles to switch on when in cold conditions (around 5ºC).

I've been having issues recording in the last few days too on my old GoPro Hero because of a defective battery, all my files were corrupted and the picture was frozen too but in a different way: like the recording froze after 3sec while showing half a purple coloured screen and frozen picture of the scenery, sound is okay too. I've swapped the battery of the Hero with another one and now the GoPro Hero works perfectly. The battery was fully charged though and GoPro seemed to be working, so I guess it wasn't delivering enough power to the CPU of the GoPro to be able to save the recorded file.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because the end result is pretty similar: a frozen image video with a sound that works fine.

This shouldn't be the case for my GoPro Max though because it's only 3 days old! The battery is brand new. However, the user experience is the same: The recording seems to take much longer than expected to be saved. E.g. When the recording works: the file is saved within 1sec. when the recording is corrupted, the GoPro Max takes 4-8 seconds to save the file and powering the GoPro Max off. So now I actually know when a file is going to be corrupted or not when I actually stop the recording. So why does that happen? Maybe the battery of the GoPro Max doesn't work around 5 degree Celcius temperature or below?

I'll do some testing by keeping the battery in my pocket tomorrow. Today, half of my recordings are corrupted and unusable :( It's very random.

In the meantime, it would be good to know the temperature conditions of the other GoPro Max users posting on here that have been experiencing this issue. Was the file recorded in cold temperature conditions? Ambient? or hot? Hopefully that will help the GoPro team to fix this.

Highlighted
Hiker

The freezes at my GoPro happen at kart videos with around 10 degrees device temperature. When it freezes it is already visible at the screen, which is also frozen in the last moment visible in the film later on.