Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

After a few successsful recordings my GoPro Max starts to freeze recordings at some point in time. Sometimes just seconds after the recording begins, sometimes after a few minutes and in one case after 30 minutes. The result is a video that is as big in size as if it was reorded normally, and with the sound recorded correctly, but from the moment of freeze the picture is stopped like you paused the video.

Is this a hint for a (hardware-)broken GoPro Max which i have to send back, or is it a software issue that may be repaired with the next release of the GoPro Max firmware?

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

I have had this exact same issue, my clip freezes after 14 seconds but audio continues on for about 35 more minutes.  The filesize of the clip is exactly what you would expect it to be for a clip of that length with audio and video.

I sent my clip to a repair serice that I have used on gopro clips over the years and they informed me yesterday that upon inspection that it all files only contain the single frozen frame to accompany the working audio.

Its a huge disappointment and really makes me wish I had just stuck with my vuze because I would have had working files.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @privatp56311 @foggycliff378

Sorry for any trouble caused.

If you haven't yet, please proceed with a manual update. https://gopro.com/en/us/update
Once done, reset the camera to its factory settings. https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Reset-Camera-Settings/ta-p/388279
If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello GoPro. So as two customers using the forums have the same issue,  there is a good chance that even more customers are affected by this. Are you already aware of this problem? As all other customers we i have already installed the newest software version which is in fact the version that was initially installed (V1.30). Are there any activities happening to resolve this issue by a software update? When is the first software update planned for the GoPro Max? 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks Ej,

We checked and the camera is all up to date.  Unfortunately we trusted it to get us a one time only shot and it failed, and now it seems that this isn't an isolated issue.  Please take time to test your products out fully before releasing them to the market.  I know that there are always bound to be some bugs, but this type of failure is beyond frustrating since it shows no sign of failure, and for some reason can't detect within itself that it is no longer recording anything other than a single frozen frame.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have also had this issue.  I was just reviewing footage of my holiday and there seems to be two files which after approximately 2 seconds into the recording the image freezes. Each file is 8 minutes long (~4GB). As of the date the footage was taken the firmware was up to date(v1.30).  I googled it and found my way here to see it's not an isolated event.  It's really disappointing as now it throws doubt in my mind about the reliability of the device.  Any idea why this is happeneing?

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Are you using one of the recommended SD cards from our list at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308? Also, have you tried doing a manual update? Instructions for doing that are at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello Jeff,

as you may have read we already have the newest software version installed on our GoPro Max. As there was no software update released since the camera was first sold there is also no way we could update it, there is still only V1.30 available at the GoPro Site, which is the version installed in the camera as it was delivered.

As for the memory card used: I installed the card that was sent by GoPro with the card, which is on the list of recommended cards.

Could you please take some time and read and answer the postings in this thread, especially the questions about planned updates of the software or hardware to overcome this problem? I can not use this camera anymore because of this problem, its lying around and i also can not sell it with this defect. I help myself continue using my GoPro Fusion, which clearly has worse picture quality compared to the max. Thank you for your help.

Best regards, Helmut.