Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

[ New ]

Hi, I just experienced the video freezing on my Max, with only audio for the remainder of the recording. I have only used the camera a few times, with about a half dozen recordings prior to this issue. I first noticed this a couple of days ago, after updating to 1.35 (yes, I noticed there is now a 1.40 available, but I don't have it installed yet). 

I have a 55 second recording in the 360 5.6K/30 mode that I was monitoring with my phone app. I stopped it when it appeared the video had frozen and I thought at first it was the connection to the app. Started it up again and it ran about 45 sec before freezing again. I contined to record (thinking it was the app) and have the 'frozen frame' with background audio for the rest of the recording (about 3 minutes total). 

After looking up the issue and finding this thread, I decided to reformat the card. After doing so, I have recorded 4 additional videos (all same format as before) and they seem fine, so far. They are all under 4 minutes in length. Could the problem have something to do with errors on the card that are cleared on formatting? I will update the firmware and report further if I get the freeze again. 

I am using the same SanDisk Extreme 64Gb V30 card for all tests, have not swapped it out. I am also using the same battery, the one that came with the camera. Camera was initially at 70F and moved to mid 20s F. The wifi was 5ghz. My 1 minute video that first exhibited the problem is at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5ifr8zy1bs2p2z/GS010028.360?dl=0

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing your observations, @janh654. Let us know how it goes as you test further. By the way, how do you record? Do you use QuikCapture

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @martind21. This link https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max works. I clicked on it and was directed to the update page. 

You can view the fixes and improvements through https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Software-Update-Release-Information/ta-p/394354

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Thank you for sharing your observations, @janh654. Let us know how it goes as you test further. By the way, how do you record? Do you use QuikCapture

Well, I am still familiarizing myself with the interface. GoPro is new to me. I am not really sure how to use QuikCapture, and don't think that I am using it. I turn on the camera and then either use the camera controls in the app or touch the top red button to start and stop the recording. Since those two problem videos, I have been also trying out the voice commands to stop the recording. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I've had the same issue with my Max, from day one in the office until yesterday at the beach. Very random, some videos are fine, other freeze at 14s with only the audio working. I've tested multiple recommended sd cards with no luck, reset the camera, formatted the cards, etc.

I've just updated to fw 1.4 in the hope it will fix the issue.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks @agileridge3308

Feel free to post back if something comes up.

Camera Freezes Up

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
I didn't experience the issue after updated to V1.40.
GoPro

[ New ]

@fleetwave14443, thanks for posting back with an update. Feel free to post back if anything else comes up. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!

Hiker

[ New ]

I have seen the issue twice with firmware V1.40. It was really cold when it happened, not sure if it was related to the problem.

Explorer

[ New ]
So here is something weird. I finally did get the video freeze while audio kept playing (I am on latest firmware using Lexar 677X). All the other videos I had recorded, both before and after, played fine (using the GoPro Mobile app on Android LG v30). I figured the video was trash and was disappointed, but after restarting my phone and opening the app again, IT WORKED! Very weird, but the video and audio played fine.
Tourist

[ New ]
I had the same problem with my Max which I bought recently. The video I recorded was about 4-5min long and it only recorded the first 2 or 3 seconds of video and after that it froze with only the video which continues to play. Not sure wat the temperature was outised, but it was cold. I am very disappointed as the video is from a flight I took which took me 2 days of hiking to get to the exit point and now I have NOTHING to show for all my hard work. GoPro needs to fix this issue a.s.a.p !
Tourist

[ New ]
Correction to my first post: "the video froze after 2 to 3 seconds with only the audio that continues"
Tourist

[ New ]

@rudibase wrote:
Correction to my first post: "the video froze after 2 to 3 seconds with only the audio that continues"

What firmware are you on?

Tourist

[ New ]
I am on Virsion 01.40 which I believe is the latest update.

I have decided when I make recordings in cold weather again I will first do two or three recordings before the time to "warm up" the battery/Max. Hopefully this way I will not lose the important footage again in future. I know from past experience with GoPros there always was the issue with recordings or GoPro not switchih on in cold weather.

Hopefully doing two or three test recordinga like I said will warm up the GoPro and resolve the problem but I hope GoPro will come with a solution in the next update.
Hiker

[ New ]

@pentux Did the replacement camera resolve the issue for you?

Did a replacement camera resolve the issue for anyone?

I already contacted support. I was using firmware 1.40 and a supported memory card. The temperature was about 45F, but the camera wouldn't have been cold since we just got out of the car. I've only had it happen once, but I haven't used it too much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke858wxgvuvcnmp/gopro_sucks.mp4?dl=0

They want to replace my camera under warranty as well. I'm just not sure if a new camera will fix it. I'm concerned it could be a firmware issue, or a design flaw present in all their cameras. The support person claimed other people had this issue resolved with a replacement camera. But I'd feel better about paying to ship my camera to them if that statement could be corroborated by another customer.

Hiker

[ New ]

They replaced it promptly (despite quarantine) under warranty without giving any grief about cosmetic damage to the "defective" one I returned. Props to GoPro for that. I haven't had the issue yet, although I used it a lot more before I had experienced it previously. But if I don't post another reply, I never had the issue again.

Tourist

[ New ]

So the Max I was experiencing freezing died on me. I bought a new one, updated it to the latest software and after a few weeks I have not experienced any issue with it so far.

Tourist

[ New ]

I forgot to add that I am still using the same micro SD card so it is definitely not a memory card issue.

Hiker

[ New ]

It happened again! With the replacement Max. At the worst possible time. I invested so much time and money trying to capture this footage, but it was all a waste because GoPro cannot produce a reliable product. I should've gone with an Insta360. It couldn't possibly be worse than this.

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear that you are observing the issue with the MAX again, @chrisd1353. Have you already manually updated your MAX to the latest firmware?

If so, and since you are already using a replacement camera, it would be best to continue working with Support regarding this matter. When you contact them at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs , you may use the same case number that you were provided before for easy reference. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

I've not done a "manual" update. I used the replacement GoPro as-is since you guys told me the replacement would solve the issue, only updating when prompted by the app. I'm not interested in troubleshooting further if it means possibly losing more irreplaceable video in the process. If a manual update was required, you should have performed that before sending it to me. Your camera already failed once causing me to lose irreplaceable footage. I gave you the chance to resolve it, and I was assured it was resolved. Now I lost even more critical footage, which is a huge setback in accomplishing what I have been investing in these cameras for. I've already contacted support. I'm not sure what you guys could possibly do to make this right at this point though.

https://youtu.be/jg7RAsXBYg4

this is the stitched video. GoPro Max Exporter stitched the video successfully. The raw footage recorded by the camera seems to have just repeated the same f...
Hiker

[ New ]

And again. Two Max's at once with frozen video. Obviously not a defect. It is not specific to one camera, memory card, battery, anything. It must be a design flaw in the camera. Or a bug in the firmware. Either that, or they need to review their SD card compatibility list.

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about that, @chrisd1353. If the issue remains, it would be best to continue working with Support. You may use the same case number that you were previously provided, for easy reference. 

Hiker

[ New ]

A lot more lost footage from last weekend. It sucks when you crash with two cameras, and neither was recording due to this issue! This time GoPro wants to RMA both of my GoPro MAx's. Which doesn't make any sense, because clearly the issue is not specific to any of the 3 cameras I have received. It is not specific to the memory cards I've used (two different brands, both on the list as compatible with GoPro Max). I reformatted the cards, did a manual firmware update on both cameras, and a factory reset. It will even freeze recording in 1080P hero mode. Still no solution in sight. Clearly a design flaw, but GoPro will not acknowledge it.