Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

[ New ]

After a few successsful recordings my GoPro Max starts to freeze recordings at some point in time. Sometimes just seconds after the recording begins, sometimes after a few minutes and in one case after 30 minutes. The result is a video that is as big in size as if it was reorded normally, and with the sound recorded correctly, but from the moment of freeze the picture is stopped like you paused the video.

Is this a hint for a (hardware-)broken GoPro Max which i have to send back, or is it a software issue that may be repaired with the next release of the GoPro Max firmware?

Hiker

Re: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

[ New ]

I have had this exact same issue, my clip freezes after 14 seconds but audio continues on for about 35 more minutes.  The filesize of the clip is exactly what you would expect it to be for a clip of that length with audio and video.

I sent my clip to a repair serice that I have used on gopro clips over the years and they informed me yesterday that upon inspection that it all files only contain the single frozen frame to accompany the working audio.

Its a huge disappointment and really makes me wish I had just stuck with my vuze because I would have had working files.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @privatp56311 @foggycliff378

Sorry for any trouble caused.

If you haven't yet, please proceed with a manual update. https://gopro.com/en/us/update
Once done, reset the camera to its factory settings. https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Reset-Camera-Settings/ta-p/388279
If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!
Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello GoPro. So as two customers using the forums have the same issue,  there is a good chance that even more customers are affected by this. Are you already aware of this problem? As all other customers we i have already installed the newest software version which is in fact the version that was initially installed (V1.30). Are there any activities happening to resolve this issue by a software update? When is the first software update planned for the GoPro Max? 

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks Ej,

We checked and the camera is all up to date.  Unfortunately we trusted it to get us a one time only shot and it failed, and now it seems that this isn't an isolated issue.  Please take time to test your products out fully before releasing them to the market.  I know that there are always bound to be some bugs, but this type of failure is beyond frustrating since it shows no sign of failure, and for some reason can't detect within itself that it is no longer recording anything other than a single frozen frame.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have also had this issue.  I was just reviewing footage of my holiday and there seems to be two files which after approximately 2 seconds into the recording the image freezes. Each file is 8 minutes long (~4GB). As of the date the footage was taken the firmware was up to date(v1.30).  I googled it and found my way here to see it's not an isolated event.  It's really disappointing as now it throws doubt in my mind about the reliability of the device.  Any idea why this is happeneing?

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Are you using one of the recommended SD cards from our list at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308? Also, have you tried doing a manual update? Instructions for doing that are at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello Jeff,

as you may have read we already have the newest software version installed on our GoPro Max. As there was no software update released since the camera was first sold there is also no way we could update it, there is still only V1.30 available at the GoPro Site, which is the version installed in the camera as it was delivered.

As for the memory card used: I installed the card that was sent by GoPro with the card, which is on the list of recommended cards.

Could you please take some time and read and answer the postings in this thread, especially the questions about planned updates of the software or hardware to overcome this problem? I can not use this camera anymore because of this problem, its lying around and i also can not sell it with this defect. I help myself continue using my GoPro Fusion, which clearly has worse picture quality compared to the max. Thank you for your help.

Best regards, Helmut.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@privatp56311 - v1.35 was released a week ago. You can download it at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max.

Hiker

[ New ]

Jeff, i looked this update-page up every time before my next kart race, missed this one. Do you have a complete list of release-notes for the intermediate versions since V1.30? The freezing problem is not mentioned in the release notes for V1.35.

Are there any plans to support higher framerates (with lower resolution) in recording 360 degrees? For sports filming 60 FPS is the way to go, which was supported by the GoPro Fusion at 3k resolution. There is also a thread for this topic, so we can stay on topic here.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Sorry, I don't have any information beyond the release notes on the page, and I can't confirm anything that might be in future updates.

If you still have freezing issues after this update, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can do additional troubleshooting with you.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am using one of the recommended SD cards for the GoPro MAX - SanDisk Extreme (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A2 128GB

The player is also updated to the latest v1.05.

I'm not sure why you are recommending manual updates. The updating process has nothing to do with the problem.  Again, at the time of recording the firmware on the camera was the latest (v1.30).    It was recorded prior to the v1.35 firmware being released.  Also there is no mention of a fix in the 1.35 release notes. So, as far as I am concerned the problem is not fixed and the camera cannot be trusted.

v1.35 PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

• Fixes horizon leveling bug that affected video stabilization.
  • Improves stitch quality in textured scenes captured above the camera.

I've had every gopro since the hero 3 and have had a few manageable issues - not turning off, need to take battery out etc.  Nothing like this where by all indications the Max is functioning correctly only to be disappointed with the broken footage. 

Is there any software that I might be able to analyse the video?  

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello,

I got the Max for xmas. I played around with it while it was with the stock firmware it came with. I use a Samsung 128GB EVO Plus MicroSD XC-I  3

I played around with the Max the last few days everything worked perfectly.

Last night I updated to v1.35 and today I had this freezing issue on a 2GB file (4min37sec recording), the image freezes around 15sec in the clip and the sound still runs fine. I'm kind of disappointed because it would have been a sick video!!!

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, it saved me from ruining the recording of another important event. So GoPro is on the move now, as this issuei is at least reported for 5 different devices here in the forums :(.GoPro officials reading here, what are your plans on this topic?

Tourist

[ New ]

In order to fix it, they need to reproduce the bug. Hopefully they'll find some information with this post.

I've noticed the GoPro Max records fine when it's at ambient temperature and I also noticed the GoPro Max struggles to switch on when in cold conditions (around 5ºC).

I've been having issues recording in the last few days too on my old GoPro Hero because of a defective battery, all my files were corrupted and the picture was frozen too but in a different way: like the recording froze after 3sec while showing half a purple coloured screen and frozen picture of the scenery, sound is okay too. I've swapped the battery of the Hero with another one and now the GoPro Hero works perfectly. The battery was fully charged though and GoPro seemed to be working, so I guess it wasn't delivering enough power to the CPU of the GoPro to be able to save the recorded file.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because the end result is pretty similar: a frozen image video with a sound that works fine.

This shouldn't be the case for my GoPro Max though because it's only 3 days old! The battery is brand new. However, the user experience is the same: The recording seems to take much longer than expected to be saved. E.g. When the recording works: the file is saved within 1sec. when the recording is corrupted, the GoPro Max takes 4-8 seconds to save the file and powering the GoPro Max off. So now I actually know when a file is going to be corrupted or not when I actually stop the recording. So why does that happen? Maybe the battery of the GoPro Max doesn't work around 5 degree Celcius temperature or below?

I'll do some testing by keeping the battery in my pocket tomorrow. Today, half of my recordings are corrupted and unusable :( It's very random.

In the meantime, it would be good to know the temperature conditions of the other GoPro Max users posting on here that have been experiencing this issue. Was the file recorded in cold temperature conditions? Ambient? or hot? Hopefully that will help the GoPro team to fix this.

Hiker

[ New ]
The freezes at my GoPro happen at kart videos with around 10 degrees device temperature. When it freezes it is already visible at the screen, which is also frozen in the last moment visible in the film later on.
Hiker

[ New ]
The freezes at my GoPro happen at kart videos with around 10 degrees device temperature. When it freezes it is already visible at the screen, which is also frozen in the last moment visible in the film later on. Once it happened just a few seconds after start of recording in a heated building.
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Freezing is often related to an issue with the SD card being used in the camera. Be sure that your SD card is on our list of cards at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308. If you have another card that is on the list, please try that one and see if the issues continue.

Hiker

[ New ]
I do use the Card that was sent by GoPro bundled with the camera. Do you sell incompatible cards bundled with the GoPro Max?
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

No, we don't. Sorry if you mentioned earlier which card you were using. I must have missed that post. 

Note that even compatible SD cards can have issues. One check to do is to reformat the card (note that this will remove any content already on the SD card), and if you have another SD card that's on our list at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308, please try that card and see if the issues continue.

If your issues continue though, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can help with additional troubleshooting with you.

Hiker

[ New ]
It’s really disappointing to see how many people are having this exact same issue. Thank you to everyone who has posted in here.

My camera was actually supplied to me by GoPro along with cards and batteries, so everything should have been up to spec. When I say that I mean that I was working with a person who is featured by gopro and who is given cameras directly to use. We have been working directly with GoPro and not having any success, which is why I posted here to see if the community had any better ideas that could help.

Our clips were shot in a temp of about 25C, so no cold camera issues with us. From reading all of these experiences it seems like the cameras are just unstable. Hopefully it’s firmware related and they will be fixed ASAP, but from analyzing my files I think that it’s a buffer issue where the camera can’t handle writing all of the data to one card and it fails. When the clip freezes the data rate is as high as it can get and there is a fair bit of movement in the objects that are in the clip. It seemed like a good tool to have but I’m going to have to go back to my vuze so that I can be sure I’ll have footage at the end of the day.
Tourist

[ New ]
I have been having the same issues with video freezing. I have taken multiple short videos which seem to work, but took one for 29 minutes and at about 1.5 min mark the audio continues but the frame remains frozen. Such a dissapointment as i was recording an important family moment. I am using a recommended memory card and am upgraded to the latest firmware. HELP! Otherwise this device is going to quickly become a very expensive paperweight, and the tech blogs are quickly going to be changing their positive tunes about the MAX.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi ,

i got the exact same issue with my gopro Max, after 42 minutes of recording then switch off switch on and start a new recording after 2 minutes the video froze the audio keep going but the video just froze.I am shooting in 360 5k 30 fps in most compatible format, Gps data is enable to.. I did Try multiple different SD card which are recommended by gopro but I always have the same pattern issue ( even after formatting the card) . Is their any quick fix for that as I am loosing a lot of action footage due to this issue.

Any one found a potential fixe is it a massive bug from gopro loosing action shot is terrible for us !! i really hope a fixe is available somehow.

PS: the support is not reachbale even for a gopro plus customer.

Mounir

Tourist

[ New ]
I am going to try to record using the front facing camera only since that seems to work better, though i have yet to record a long video with just the front facing camera, i feel like it may work better because there ia less data processing that needs to happen so it hopefully will not freeze. Will update if it works better, so at least the camera will be functional until they fix the 360 video freezing issue.
Sightseer

RE: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

[ New ]

I'm having the same problem with my GoPro Max v1.35
I am using the SD card in the recommended item.

KakaoTalk_20191230_180329976.jpg
GoPro Community Manager

Re: RE: GoPro Max Video Recording freezes

[ New ]

Even recommended cards can have issues. One suggestion is to reformat the card. Note that doing this will erase any content already on the card. Even so, if you have another card that is on the list at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308, please try that card to see if the issues continue. If the GoPro works fine with another recommended card, then we can isolate the issue to the specific card and try to resolve that issue.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Jeff,

For my case i did try multiple card which was recommended by gopro lexar and Sandisk both having the same issue even after manual update and reformating.

Might worth to escalate the issue internally with the tech team i am sure they might have plenty of R&D done on multiple card and have more access to log on the camera to understand whats going on.

Best regards,

Mounir

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Jeff,

It's 100% the cameras that are the issue.  The same cards work totally fine in every other piece of equipment.  The MAX is having issues with any card that you put into it if you record enough times.  I see the issue happening most often on long clips from what I've experienced.  The first clip that this happened to me on I could even see the screen on the back of the camera showing me a live preview past the :14 mark that the video freezes.  If the camera is this finicky it should really be asking for a faster card or recording lower bitrate files.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just here to add myself to the list of people who are having this freezing issue. :( For me it usually happens at around 17-18 minutes of recording. I'm also using the supplied SD card and the current firmware.

Tourist

[ New ]

I had this happened bultiple times prior to update 1.35 and after update some of them have been multiple minutes long another video was less than a minute. One of them was filming a disabled guy doing a solo paraglider flight with me launching him... Losing some pretty valuable footage due to this.

This camera is broken and needs to be fixed.

Tourist

[ New ]

Brand new camera, today was the first day out with it. When I paired it with my phone yesterday (the day it arrived) I upgraded it to 1.35. I'm using a supported card Samsung Evo Plus (UHS-1 U3) 256GB MB-MC256GA/AM. It was formatted when it was installed in the camera. The temperature was in the high 40's, with wind chill was a little cooler.

I have about 2 minutes and 30 seconds of awesome video and another 30 minutes of just sound as I was mountain biking today. 

I pulled the video files off the SD card then formatted it with the MAX and pulled the battery out and put it back in. There is another thread related to the HERO7 Black where peopoe are reporting the same thing... the battery pull thing seems to be some type of a temporary fix. 

Super disappointing to drop $500 on a camera that shoots for two and a half minutes, this needs to be a priority for GoPro to fix. 

Tourist

[ New ]
As a quick follow-up I just recorded about 10 minutes of super exciting video of me sitting at the desk and it worked fine. I wonder how long it will take for it to act up again? I'm guessing as soon as there is something I really want to capture.
Tourist

[ New ]

It seems to me that when I don't move the camera, it's fine. When I move it it's not. Maybe it's the stabilisation, the gyro data attached to it? I don't know. Anyway, I kind of wish this issue escalates quickly and we get a fix because I'm truly thinking of bringing this camera back to the shop now. Especially since there's going to be a 8K camera coming out soon.

Hiker

[ New ]

Somehow i have the felling that it could be soething related with the source of power ( battery ) as the behavior start after 20 minutes. may be when the battery is not in full capacity and not enough to process all the data skiping it like the video. Got similare issue a while ago with some gyrocam build when battery was half capacity the device was just behaving but when plug in constant power no issue.  Hopefully not a design issue as i am pretty sure a large company like Gopro would have done a Proper R&D specially after the promo video with all action shot. 

I really hope that could be fixed with Soft upgrade, but we first need someone to escalate to the GoPro Engineering team.

Mounir

Tourist

[ New ]

Same as everyone here. $500 dollars on a camera that takes a minute of video. I did all the firmware updates and every trick . correct card . Mount camera ready for action I made it 8 minutes now and gets frozen! Not really happy . GoPro fix the firmware or give us settings for caputuring video without freezing ASAP. 

Hiker

[ New ]

is their any further update on those issue ?

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue here, latest firmware (1.35), sd card on approved list.

Video freezes after some minutes while audio continues. Missed a great moment as my daughter cought her first large wave surfing on Bali. :-(

Hope a fix is underway.

(Most recordings work and I'm having a lot of fun with my Max) 

Hiker

[ New ]

very sad, i was recording with teh camera for a friend, we attach the caemra as onboard camera on his superbike during a race. we lost all footage. was very sad :(

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi everyone! Sorry to hear about the trouble. We'd like to get a better understanding of what could be causing this. Please contact our Support Team so they can look further into the details and coordinate with the team in charge. You can reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives. When you do, let them know about the troubleshooting steps already taken and provide the following essential info:

• Do you see similar results when playing back the video directly in the camera?
  • When did you first notice the issue?
  • Does it happen to all videos? What are the video settings used?
  • SD card brand and capacity.
  • Do you get the same results using a different recommended SD card?
  • MAX camera's Wi-Fi frequency used.
  • Firmware version installed.
  • Upload a sample raw/unedited footage to your Dropbox or Google Drive and provide the shared link to help us analyze the metadata of the file.

We appreciate the patience and understanding throughout the process.

Hiker

[ New ]

hi follow bellow the answer :

he following essential info:

• Do you see similar results when playing back the video directly in the camera? 

Answer: Yes 

Answer: straight away with the previous formware and 1.35, the issue since to have the same pattern

5K 30 Fps, protune, gps data enable, using compression most compatible

Answer: yes tested multiple card which are recommended by Gopro SanDisk Extrem pro 128 Gb and Lexar 1000x 256 Gb. 

Answer : always get the same issue, after 20 to 30 minutes recording, more often when i stop teh record after 30 minutes then back on start back teh record and after few minutes got the video freeze with audio going normaly.

Answer: default setting

Answer : 1.35

• Upload a sample raw/unedited footage to your Dropbox or Google Drive and provide the shared link to help us analyze the metadata of the file.

Youtube link which was share with your support team as per their request: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0430t7Irw40

Adding a the raw File 4Gb which was taken during the second of our race as onboard camera with our superbike Racer. The video froze at 6 Minutes 15 second.

we was usinng the Sand Disk Extrem Pro 128 Gb for teh record the file was copy diretcly from the SD card.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11g-rk5Rz8aZL5vGx3wwVM2rrowGfQPCG

Hope you can sort out this situation as marking the cam as Action Camera, we can loose those type of footage specially on big event or one time shot.

GoPro

[ New ]

@pentux, thanks for the info. Please contact our Support Team and provide the details to them for further review. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, 

i already contact them 2 week ago, i am getting a replacement camera. Not sure if the Camera had an issue. once i get the new one i will run further test.

I will keep the community posted once i get my replacement MAX.

Tourist

[ New ]
Why did you need a replacement? Was it for this issue?
Hiker

[ New ]

Yes for the same issue, but i am not sure if a faulty cam was the root cause. I will run few test this week end with the replacement cam and keep you posted.

IMG_1909.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]

Bonjour a tous!

j'ai vécu le meme probleme samedi passé, j'ai refais la mise a jour manuelle, et, réinitialisé la GoPro Max, je suis aller me promener en ville avec la camera, apres 12 minutes, l'image a gelé... 

Je crois a un probleme firmware...

Tourist

[ New ]

I am also having this same issue, seems to happen to a handful of clips every time I take the camera out surfing.  Add this to my growing list of frustrations with the Max.  The lock feature is almost useless, my camera still finds a way to constantly unlock/change modes while surfing.  Also the absense of the night features that were available on the Fusion is mind boggling.

GoPro

[ New ]

@martind21, @whitm0, please contact our Support Team so they can look further into the details and coordinate with the team in charge. You can reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives. When you do, let them know about the troubleshooting steps already taken and provide the following essential info:

Hiker

[ New ]
https://youtu.be/9C-RD_OP2ok
Please see the frozen behavior as video. The latest FW won't fix the issue.
The delear had changed a new one for me, the problem still exist, it's firmware issue definitely!!
It's very annoied ......
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. We just released a new version for the MAX firmware. Be sure to update your cameras and let us know how it goes. Details for the update are at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max .

Hiker

[ New ]

Page not found! :(

Capture d’écran, le 2020-01-29 à 19.07.39.png