Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro Max Video Processing

[ New ]

GoPro Max camera is very raw and unfinished. This is especially true for video processing under Windows.
360 files take up much less space than their analogues from mov (which practically do not lose quality when converting from 360).
360 files cannot be saved on your computer, much less convert them to a program or open them in Adobe After Effects.
You cannot convert files in the GoPro Exporter program if the camera is disconnected from a computer or other place (360 files should only be on the GoPro max camera). This complicates the process of processing and editing videos.
GoPro Exporter crashes sometimes. At the same time, when converting to mov, files are placed somewhere on the hard drive, and then are not deleted after processing or failure.
A camera of this level should also provide content for professionals. And this means that there should be tools convenient for professional video processing.
1. Trimming 360 video files through the phone. But with saving content in the GoPro camera. Let's say we shot a 1-minute video. Cut it out for 10 seconds. The same 360 ​​file was placed on the camera, but smaller. The original has been deleted.
2. The GoPro Importer program must clear the temporary folders before starting, closing, and after a crash. Or let the professionals find or adjust the path to the disks, where there is more space.
3. 360 files take up less space. These are the sources. And they should be stored in their original form on the computer and converted and processed without connecting the Gopro max camera to the computer.

Maybe I'm a little excited writing a premature review. I will still deal with the software. But for now, the camera is very uncomfortable for me. And the price for it is very high. But the movies are cool. I will post the video later.

Sorry for google translator =)

Nomad

Re: GoPro Max Video Processing

[ New ]

I think the idea as a consumer camera is to optimize the workflow following the next steps: shooting on camera, transfering and editing in cellphone ( reframe, cut clips and sometimes posting or sharing directly), and after, as an optional step, using this edition final step on computer to create a longer video. It makes sense that other kind of cameras (more focused on professional field) develope better desktop software.

Explorer

[ New ]

The .360 files are compressed, so that they take up less space on the camera.  When converting on your computer the files become uncompressed and in a lossless (cineform and prores) format for better editing capability.  I've never had the Max Exporter crash on me, so I'm not sure about what experience you may be having or why, it works great for me.  My system is an i7 9700k 16GB DDR4 RAM NVIDIA RTX 2060 1T SSD Windows 10.  I did a test to see the difference in quality between a file uncompressed and edited with DaVinci Resolve with Refreame360 and with the GoPro App.  I personally don't see much of a difference.  In most cases, I will just do the edits/reframes on my phone (Android LGv30) and color grade/edit in DaVinci if I need to.  I've also made videos using the Quik Story feature of the app.  I just make a few (with and without music) and then combine them into one video.  It actually works pretty good and the editing on the app is getting better every day.

This is a comparison video of an exported 5.6K file vs a 1080p file edited on my phone with the GoPro app.  It's important to note that the sharpness is set to low on the camera, so the first two examples of the video are not very sharp.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for answers. I will continue to experiment with the new GoPro. So far I have developed a tactic for selecting and editing videos on my phone.
Here is a shot video on Instagram. Edited at the Premiere Pro. I’ll do this video on YouTube later.

Explorer

[ New ]
Nice video 🙂👍