Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro Max Exporter is terrible. What's your workflow?

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy to have the Cineform option, as this outputs videos I can work with in Premiere at the same quality as the .360. And the Reframe plugin for Adobe Premiere Pro is great. But the only reason these exist is because the GoPro marketing team needed tools to make commercials with. Obviously not a good solution for casual users when the video is 6gb/min and it requires $240/year software.

As nice as the cineform option is, the encoding settings for HEVC and h264 are laughable. HEVC output is level 0.6! I understand wanting it to be fast, but I'm not editing this on my phone. GIve me options for quality and I'll wait for the encode.

I've finally set up a good workflow with Max footage + Gauges.

.360 -> Output to Cineform with Max Exporter -> Import to Premiere Pro -> Use ReFrame plugin to key your video -> Export to 4k h.264 5.2 -> Import to Virb -> Import data to Virb that you extracted with the amazing GoPro telemetry tool -> Add your gauges statically to a flat output.

Getting real 360 video to work with a high quality in Virb so you can overlay floating gauges is hard, because it won't support HEVC 5.2 or higher that I've found. Handbrake doesn't flag the video as monoscopic VR footage so it's picked up as flat if you try to go Cineform -> High Quality HEVC or H.264. The GoPro Max Exporter h.264 and HEVC options work but the quality is very low. So once again you are using Premiere Pro to encode your video.

I've tried Davinci Resolve with Reframe360, but it doesn't stich the back end of the video together. DashWare doesn't support 360 video. RaceRender wants to, but I haven't made it work.

Please GoPro, when is Quik for 360 coming to PC? Or at least quality flags for Max Exporter? What do you guys use for workflow? Specifically for the following: 360 video with floating gauges, or keyframed video with static gauges.

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GoPro Max Exporter is terrible. What's your workflow?

[ Edited ]

One quick note. DaVinci Resolve and Reframe360 work fine, but you need to make a small adjustment to the video scaling so that all of the edges line up. Unlink the horizontal and vertical scaling and adjust the vertical to around 1.13 and everything should line up fine. I found a really good video on YouTube that explains using DaVinci Resolve and Reframe360 with GoPro Max.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA5A75ey81g 

As far as video that has been converted with handbrake losing the vr metadata, you can always insert it using Spatial Media Metadata Injector https://github.com/google/spatial-media/releases.

Hopefully GoPro will continue to develop and improve the workflow for PC editing and the utilization of telemetry. Until then, I hope the above will help.

Highlighted
Explorer

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hey man, got my GoPro max recently and wanna edit them like you do. But currently I cant download the GoPro Max Converter on Windows App Store. Is there any other place to download it?
best regards

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for that. You may be able to answer this, are there any OpenFX or Davinci Resolve compatible plugins for overlaying gauges with extracted GoPro data like Dashware? If I could keep it in one program, I'd switch from Premiere + Virb to Davinci.

Highlighted
Explorer

Sorry, I haven't really looked into inserting metadata into 360 video so I don't have any answers for you on that. You might want to ask the members of this group https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation
@kajuna is really the expert when it comes to GPS and telemetry metadata
Highlighted
Nomad

Nothing for Davinci Resolve, as far as I know. I'm not familiar enough with the Fusion section of Resolve, so while I suppose it's possible, I would not know where to start creating a plugin or template. The After Effects telemetry templates require enough of my time for now, so I don't think I can make much progress in that direction.

Feel free to add a post in the Telemetry Group and someone else might be able to help: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/gp-p/Hero5MetadataVisualisation

Highlighted
Explorer

@moritzp56 As far as I know, you have to go through the Windows store.  You should reach out to the GoPro Support Team and see if they can help you out.