Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

GoPro MAX: what happens when the battery runs out?

Can anyone tell me what happens when the battery reaches its end? The recording of the video is saved, that is, later it is possible to recover the movie until the moment of shutdown, or the video file is corrupted and is unusable?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro MAX: what happens when the battery runs out?

Providing you are using an original GoPro battery in your camera, there is communication between the camera and the battery as regards battery power levels.  When your battery runs out, the GoPro will properly close the video recording before powering off to ensure no footage is lost. 

However if you use a 3rd party battery, there is no communication between the camera and battery, in which case, footage could easily be lost due to an unclosed video file.

If your camera lost power without closing the file, you can leave your SD card in the camera, put a fresh battery into the camera and power on the camera.  The Camera will then attempt a file repair and close the last recorded video file properly so that it can be made viewable.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

made 1 hours footage till the batterie went * poof *

footage was correctly closed, so i guess a command is given to stop the recording and close the file properly and than shutdown.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you @pixelnator360 

This is a good operation. I hope it is not just a lucky case. What do other users say?

Highlighted
Nomad

Providing you are using an original GoPro battery in your camera, there is communication between the camera and the battery as regards battery power levels.  When your battery runs out, the GoPro will properly close the video recording before powering off to ensure no footage is lost. 

However if you use a 3rd party battery, there is no communication between the camera and battery, in which case, footage could easily be lost due to an unclosed video file.

If your camera lost power without closing the file, you can leave your SD card in the camera, put a fresh battery into the camera and power on the camera.  The Camera will then attempt a file repair and close the last recorded video file properly so that it can be made viewable.

Highlighted
Hiker

@irishmanpdx 

It all seems perfect. Good. So no user has ever had video loss due to discharged battery and not closing the file?

Highlighted
Nomad

"It all seems perfect. Good. So no user has ever had video loss due to discharged battery and not closing the file?"

Let me check my vast data base of every single GoPro user ever that has been recording and has had their battery discharge.  It will take a day or two as it's such a huge data base.  It was given to me by a magical unicorn who came to my house riding a dragon that was riding a giant tortoise.  He also granted me 3 wishes and insisted he would get Paige Lillian to come and dance on the roof of my house...

.... I'll have the answer for you shortly....

Man Frustrated

Highlighted
Hiker

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

It was enough for me to know if from what you heard around nobody had had similar problems. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Nomad

People have had issues with corrupt files, but it's hard to pinpoint to an exact issue, most people don't even know how to format their SD cards to begin with.

I still don't have Paige Lillian dancing on my roof and GoPro have refused to take the hint......  or maybe she'd just fall off my slanted roof...