Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro MAX not connecting to GoPro app on iPhone. It keeps giving me "Unable to join network" error.

I cannot get either iPhone or iPad to connect to GoPro MAX over wifi. The initial bluetooth connection portion always works, but you cannot do anything with the GoPro using it. It wants to connect using WiFi to do anything useful like viewing media or controlling the GoPro.

In fact, I cannot detect evidence that the GoPro even turns on WiFi. You can get the GoPro to tell you the WiFi name and password that it is using, but if you tell another device to scan WiFi for the GoPro WiFi, nothing of the sort is visible.

I've followed all the different suggested instructions on https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Troubleshooting-GoPro-App-Connectivity-Issues/ta-p/392964 and nothing is working. I noticed these troubleshooting instructions are nearly a year old.

It DID work sort-of for a few days, but it has always seemed flaky and didn't always connect the first time. Now it fails ALL of the time.

Using the lastest software and firmware.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro MAX not connecting to GoPro app on iPhone. It keeps giving me "Unable to join network" ...

Hello @chrism68325. Please make sure your mobile device, app, and camera are on their current versions. I have a few troubleshooting suggestions that will help: 

1. Restart your mobile device. 
  2. Once your phone is back on, turn on/off the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. 
  3. Delete the GoPro camera under the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi entries in your mobile device’s settings. 
  4. Remove your camera entry from the GoPro App's history. 
    • iOS: Open GoPro App. Tap the pencil icon in the top-left corner of the Camera menu page. Tap the red X icon to delete the camera entry from your app’s history. 
  5. Clear the cache for the GoPro app in your device's settings under the "Applications" section. 
  6. Kill the app and relaunch it. 
  7. On your GoPro camera, turn the Wi-Fi off and on. Then restart the camera. 
  8. Now, put the camera in pairing mode. 
  9. Open the GoPro App on your phone and tap the camera icon. The app will try to connect via Bluetooth and take you through the pairing process. Follow the on-screen instructions in the app. 
    • Note: Some phones and regions require the camera to be in a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band, you may also try this out. 
  10. For future reconnections, just make sure that the camera’s Wi-Fi is on and you’ll be all set. 

Let us know how it goes.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro MAX not connecting to GoPro app on iPhone. It keeps giving me "Unable to join network

This doesn't work. Tried this multiple times.

For one thing, there is no way to "clear cache" for a GoPro App on an iPhone. This sounds like an Android phone instruction. Even uninstalling an iPhone App completely from a phone doesn't necessarily delete residual settings from the iPhone.

But I did try to connect to a completely different iPhone so it would have had nothing stored in a cache and had no memory in Bluetooth or WiFi settings of the GoPro. Could not connect to the completely different iPhone, either. Same problem.

I'm really disappointed in the GoPro company.

Customer support instructions which basically boil down to "turn it on and off again" are unsatisfying and provide no explaination for why things don't work or what is getting changed to make things work again. There is no way to troubleshoot or narrow down the problem. Is it the GoPro? No idea. Is it the GoPro app? No idea. 

For $500 dollars, I expect a "best is class" level of software experience from a GoPro, not a "piece of garbage" level experience.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro MAX not connecting to GoPro app on iPhone. It keeps giving me "Unable to join network

Hi @chrism68325

Try manually connecting to the camera's WiFi network.  

Send the app to the background and manually connect to the camera from your phone’s WiFi settings.

You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then hitting the Info button on the camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Can you also help us with the following information: Camera version, GoPro App version, device and OS version. 

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks. Yeah. I've tried this, but I have never seen a GoPro network show up on a manual WiFi scan. Would be nice if it did.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @chrism68325

What phone are you using?

I have just tested this on an iPhone 6S Plus and was able to pair the camera.

See if resetting the Wi-Fi will help. 

If the Wi-Fi name is still not showing, please proceed with a manual update.

Please follow the steps on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/max

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej