Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro MAX: increase battery duration?

If I want to record for many hours without draining the battery, can I connect a USB power bank to the MAX?

Or can I connect a USB cable from the USB port on my motorbike to the USB connector on the MAX?

What technique do you use to extend the recording duration?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro MAX: increase battery duration?

Hi @andreac13446,

Yes you can but the wire might be visible. 

Try to check YouTube videos or if you have a powerbank try to use it. 

Just make sure to remove the battery.

-Jay

Highlighted
Hiker

@graytree76514  ha scritto:

Yes you can but the wire might be visible. 

Try to check YouTube videos or if you have a powerbank try to use it. 

Just make sure to remove the battery.

The protruding cable doesn't bother me.

Instead I need to keep both the battery and the power cable working. Otherwise, the moment I turn off the engine of the motorcycle, I would find the MAX suddenly turning off. I must be able to turn on the MAX before leaving (therefore it must work with the battery), then when the engine is running it recharges the MAX battery and keeps it powered. Subsequently, if there is no power supply from the USB cable, the MAX works with its battery. Is this possible?

Highlighted
Nomad

If you plug a USB cable into your Max, here's what will happen.

Your camera will use it's battery for power until power starts coming over the USB cable.  At this stage it will use power from the USB cable without using your battery.  After your engine is turned off and there is no power via the USB cable, your camera will return to using it's internal battery power.  

There are three issues with this considering your usage.

1:  With the battery left in, there is a the possibility of overheating.  However if you're using this on a motor bike, there should be enough air cooling to prevent this being an issue.

2:  If there is two much wind, it will be possible that your USB cable could come loose during use.

3:  To attach a USB cable you would have to leave the power door open and your camera would no longer be waterproof.

Please keep all of the above in mind and perform a test run in mild conditions to see if you are getting the performance you need.

Highlighted
GoPro

@andreac13446. In addition to what @irishmanpdx stated, it is also important to note that even if the camera is connected to an external power source, the battery does not get charged while the camera is recording. 

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya  ha scritto:

@andreac13446. In addition to what @irishmanpdx stated, it is also important to note that even if the camera is connected to an external power source, the battery does not get charged while the camera is recording. 

Nooooooo????!!!!

And why doesn't it charge?

I liked the solution proposed by @irishmanpdx, apart from that I was worried about the overheating that he wrote. Is it really easy to cause overheating if I connect USB power and battery together?

Highlighted
Nomad

Nooooooo????!!!!  And why doesn't it charge?

What this means is simply that if you put a battery with 12% power into the camera, go for a long ride with it hooked up to an external powersource, after you are finished your ride, your battery will still be at 12%.  The reason for this is to STOP over heating.  When you discharge a battery, you produce heat.  When you use your camera (plugged into an external power supply) you also generate heat and when you charge your battery, heat is also produced.  So if you think about it, charging your camera battery while powering your device from a seperate source would effectively double the amount of heat being produced.  To stop this from happening no charging takes place while your camera is powered by an external power source.

It is easy to overheat any device if it is used improperly or not to manufactures specifications and that's nothing new or specific to GoPro camera's.  Non compatible or poorly formatted SD cards for instance can cause overheating.  using 3rd party batteries with an incorrect discharge rate can cause overheating.   Using an action camera recording in 4K @60FPS with GPS, WiFi, Streaming live to your phone with hypersmooth enabled in boost mode to record a 4 hour baseball game in bright sunshine from the stands will result in overheating....  

So far, I have used my GoPro's mounted on the outside of a car, mounted on the wings of an airplane or mounted on drones and I haven't had an overheating issue due to using properly formatted SD cards, correct batteries, with the camera mounted in an area with adequate airflow, using settings appropriate to the shooting scenario.  

So we cannot say for sure whether or not you will have an overheating issue due to the fact we don't know what you are shooting, where your camera will be mounted, how you've formatted your cards etc... 

I would venture a guess and say that overheating will be the least of your issues.  My one suggestion would be to see if you can find someone who will make you a custom flat power cable that you can secure to your camera and use 3M power cable anchors to ensure that your cable doesn't come loose from the camera and ends up flapping about in the wind.  

Highlighted
Hiker

@irishmanpdx  My need was as follows: I should use the camera on a tourist visit to the place where I am, so the battery would drain. Back on the motorcycle, I mount the MAX on the stand, connect the USB and go. During the journey the battery should recharge, and during the journey I must have the possibility to keep the camera on: when switched on it does not mean that I am always recording; sometimes I register sometimes it stays paused. Is this possible?

As for the formatting of the microSD card: I wonder how it is possible to format a card correctly or to format it badly, if I use the "format" command included in the camera menu. The command should format the card well, shouldn't it?