Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro MAX and GPS overlay

Why can't you use it?

I think it's a great piece of gear and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Workflow isn't the easiest but with a little help from Google there are way to do it.

Highlighted
Nomad

GoPro is working on new Max software at the moment that will support both the Max and the Fusion.  The new software is going to resolve the issues that you're seeing (needing seperate software to achieve a single operation) as well as provide a more stable platform for use.  

Looking forward to this for sure and hopefully your camera doesn't have to be a shelf ornament for too long.

Highlighted
Hiker

Because I use a WIndows machine and all I can do on it is import the video and then find some other software to edit that content with.  GPS data is lost in all of this and trying to get it back/sync up is just too painful for my needs.  I can re-frame and use some of the content on my phone, but who want to torture themselves and try to edit a 10 minute video on the cell phone, and then have it crash, or run out of space and stuff during all of that.   That workflow on Android/Windows is just horrible.  I don't do this professionally, it's more of a hobby and way to document my adventures.  And i"m not going to spend the money on a high end piece of software and have to learn it just to use the camera.   Sad if I spend 2hrs doing an adventure and 8hrs trying to edit the video,,, heck, i'll just forget the MAX and use a standard camera and be done in 30 minutes.    The hardware seems pretty good, but the software/workflow is just horrible.....   SOooooooo, it sits.....

Now if GoPro actually does release something that is pretty usable,,, then I may be happy again, but for now,,,,,, I'm just done trying to mess with it.  I've basically wasted many days trying to accomplish 1 decent video longer than 1 or 2 minutes.   

Highlighted
Nomad

Couldn't agree with you more on this one.  Great camera, terrible windows software.  The same could have also been said for Android when the Fusion came out.  However when GoPro started to concentrate on their mobile app and update the thing, the difference between the old app and the new app was like night and day.  They threw some great resources and time at the app and now it's a pleasure to work with (and they are still making massive updates to it).

With the same potential for their windows software, I have great faith in what they can accomplish so the end user actually has a useful, pleasant and easy to use experience with their software.  Fingers crossed!

Highlighted
Hiker

I am keeping my fingers crossed as well, but considering I have owned the camera since November and I still can't use it,,,,,, i'm not holding my breathe or I would have passed out long time ago....   I would have been ok if we had something before the end of December, but waiting 3-4 months (or more) is crazy.

Highlighted
Tourist

Don't give up, hold out a bit longer. GoPro are notorious for having amazing hardware with software that doesn't always keep up. The Max, however, seems to have hit the spot and is a great success so they'll have to follow it up with decent applications. Record that content, store it somewhere and soon you'll be able to use it. Fingers crossed! 

Highlighted
Hiker

Yea see, it's even the little things like storing it.  Sure, I can plug in the camera to the PC and transfer the files, but the camera hides the .thm and .lrv files when you do this so those don't transfer.  I have to pull the SD card, put it in my PC and transfer that way to make sure I get everything or it doesn't work when I am ready to use it.   Why make it do this?  Anyway,,, just a bunch of little things that should work but don't.  I hope you are right though, because at this point, I won't buy another GoPro product with the way I feel about this one.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Do you need those files? They're for thumbnails and video previews on camera. Frankly I'm annoyed they're even there, they create a clutter when I back up my card contents...I delete them immediately when I insert my sd card into the mac. If there were an option to turn this thing off, I'd be the first to use it.