Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

GoPro MAX and GPS overlay

I have a new GoPro MAX, an Android phone and a Windows desktop and I am trying to find a way to put the data about the GPS over my videos but I have not found any tutorial or information. Could someone help me?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GoPro MAX and GPS overlay

Hi @hardywave1112

Are you referring to 360 videos or regular videos?

You should be able to use GPS stickers on the GoPro app(mobile) for regular videos.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

I am wanting to do the same on 360 videos, or even after re-framing.  I haven't dug too deep, but so far the option has not been in the places I have looked.

Highlighted
Nomad

So I take it you want to be able to do something like this?

That's a very simple version of GPS overlays in a 360 video and to do this, I required 3 different programs.  GoPro Fusion Studio for rendering my Fusion footage, RaceRender and Adobe Premier Pro.  Basically I stitched the Fusion footage with Fusion Studio into one big 360 degree video.  I then imported the footage into RaceRender which generated the GPS functions I wanted.  However doing this onto a 360 file would obviously result in distortions.  So I created layers in RaceRender.  Top layer was my GPS footage, the bottom layer was the video footage and in between I placed a bright green layer.  Then I rendered all of that out into a 1080P 16:9 ratio clip.  So what I ended up with was a green screen video with my GPS data on it.

I then opened Adobe Premier Pro, imported my original stitched GoPro Fusion footage and reframed it using the GoPro Reframe pluggin.  I placed my green screen video as a 2nd track and then used the mask tool to remove the green screen.  What was left was what you see, my flight video with GPS overlays.  I then just faded in and out the GPS overlay video track as needed.

It was very hard to find a good "How to" video for this and I ended up having to use serveral different sources just to get a basic version done.  However since you've pointed this out I will work on a tutorial as to how I did this and post it on my YouTube page.

The GoPro App also very quickly adds GPS overlays to your footage and is great for short quick clips.  You can even add GPS overlays to your Timewarp video's.

Highlighted
Hiker

Wow,,, yes effectively that is what I am looking for, however much simpler. In the past I used the Quick app and just added the gps data for simple things. I have used Garmin's Virb for a little nicer looking overlay, but either way it uses the actual GoPro footage that contains the track. With the MAX, it doesn't work with quick until you re-frame, which kills any GPS data (unless I am missing something) and I haven't found any other app that will accept the .360 files,,, so,,, it's possible the GPS data is there, but by the time we manipulate it to get what we want, that data is gone. But like I said, I haven't had much time to dig into it, but that's what I've seen with the little tinkering I have done.
Highlighted
Nomad

You can read and export the telemetry in the .360 files with the telemetry extractor.

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free

Then use it in Virb Edit or another software of your choice
Highlighted
Tourist

Reframing and rendering on iOS won't delete telemetry data.

On the other hand if you convert .360 into .mov on desktop with the GOPro Player then yes, telemetry will be removed.

So if you want to have telemetry on the 360 files, use the GoPro app on iOS.

Otherwise use the above method with Racerender. Also works with Dashware I think, but Dashware doesn't exist for MacOS, so I use RR. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Another reason I hate this thing.  Works on IOS, but not Windows.  You can do this on Android, but if you want to do that, you have to use a Mac,,, oh, but if you want to do this over here then IOS works great,,,,, oh, but you want to do this other thing, well, you 'might' be able to do it on Android.   Ohhh,,, you have Windows,,, well you can only do this here then....   Does GoPro expect us to have 1 of every kind of device out there?

Sorry, I'm not trying to vent too much, but i've already given up and my MAX sits on the shelf while I try and forget I spent $500 on a piece of junk that I can't use.   The only hope is that "MAYBE" some day i'll be able to actually use it,,,by 2021....  

Thank you for the info though, at least I know what the issue is.